OPERATION "BICYCLE LIGHTS"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'd be more keen on Operation "get of that f***** mobile". It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel at the moment, it seems.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not quite the same but:
On Tuesday, 3 November our street team were out between 7.15-8.45am and 4.30-6pm at College Green, the A4174 ring road (east of Coldharbour Lane) and Temple Quay (behind Temple Meads) and they gave away over 900 water bottles and high-visibility bag covers plus lots of information about the cycling city project.

Over the next three weeks our street team will be out at the following locations at the same time every week.

Tuesday, 10 November: Gypsy Patch lane, Bristol Bath Railway Path Avon Valley Railway (Longwell Green), Queen Square, Bristol Bath Railway Path (near Morrisons in Fishponds).

Tuesday, 17 November: Ashton Avenue Bridge, Suspension Bridge Road, St Michaels Park Road, Avonmouth Bridge.

Tuesday, 24 November: College Green, A4174 Ring Road (east of Coldharbour Lane), Prince Street Bridge, Temple Meads (rear of station near Temple Quay).

If you need some accessories or high-visibility items to keep you riding your bike in the dark, make sure you say hello to our street team members over the coming weeks.

Cab

classic33 said:
See
http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=4489

What do those on here think about the police doing the same over here?

Its an annual event in Cambridge. Plod target the fair weather student cyclists who are giving up cycling in droves as the weather deteriorates, then claim a success as the number of cyclists without lights goes down. Oddly the same reduction in the number of unlit cyclists used to happen as November drew on way before Plod started with this policy...

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Cab said:
Its an annual event in Cambridge. Plod target the fair weather student cyclists who are giving up cycling in droves as the weather deteriorates, then claim a success as the number of cyclists without lights goes down. Oddly the same reduction in the number of unlit cyclists used to happen as November drew on way before Plod started with this policy...

I handed out 120 tickets in a two week period last December (monday -friday between 4 & 6 pm) for cycling without lights.
To prove how well this worked I again spent two weeks in July between 4&6pm targeting cyclist riding in the dark without lights.
Result No tickets.
100 % reduction in cyclist riding without lights.
The Chief Constable was well chuffed

Cab you can be a synical old git sometimes! It' hardly worthwhile targeting the miscreants before the nights draw in. It is the nature of the beast that bad weather will lower the number of cyclists on the streets!

Davidc

Guru
Read in the local rag that they're doing that here. Turn up with bike &/or receipt for lights and you get off the £30 fine.

I'm more likely to get done for having too many lights.

Cab

Vikeonabike said:
Cab you can be a synical old git sometimes!

I resent that. I'm a cynical old git all the time :biggrin:

Way back before the local constabulary started the annual crackdown, the same reduction in cyclists without lights happened anyway. I'm unconvinced that the crackdown works. I have no issue with cyclists without lights getting stopped, but the specific annual event doesn't demonstrably do a great deal.

Vikeonabike

Cab said:
I resent that. I'm a cynical old git all the time :biggrin:

Way back before the local constabulary started the annual crackdown, the same reduction in cyclists without lights happened anyway. I'm unconvinced that the crackdown works. I have no issue with cyclists without lights getting stopped, but the specific annual event doesn't demonstrably do a great deal.

Cab... agree totally, annual crackdowns don't work. However sometimes it is the only way to deal with some issues. I saw at least half a dozen unlit cycles on my way to an emergency shout the other day...I certainly did not have time to stop and deal with them. Same goes when I'm on my way to a non emergency call. I'd probably only get two jobs done in a two hour shift during the winter if I stoppd to deal with them all!

Davidc

Guru
Out for a ride earlier on, it had gone dark and I was on an unlit country road. Cyclist coming the other way had no lights, but clothing with reflective things all over it.

He/she looked like something out of a horror film when lit up by my front light.

It really showed that reflectives are great, but not having lights makes it difficult for even another cyclist to work out what's happening.

I can't work out how the h**l he could see where he was going.

And that was before I got a p**c**r*...........

Cab

Vikeonabike said:
Cab... agree totally, annual crackdowns don't work. However sometimes it is the only way to deal with some issues. I saw at least half a dozen unlit cycles on my way to an emergency shout the other day...I certainly did not have time to stop and deal with them. Same goes when I'm on my way to a non emergency call. I'd probably only get two jobs done in a two hour shift during the winter if I stoppd to deal with them all!

I rekon that a periodic crackdown could be wowthwhile, but I don't think that its targetted well. While there are a gazillion cyclists in November without lights on the streets in the middle of Cambridge (which are well lit and so plastered with cyclists that the risk to each individual seems slight), I'd favour targetting the suburban roads. Arbury Road, Milton Road, Cherry Hinton Road, etc. Less cyclists, but these ones are heading out to the outskirts that are less well lit, so it matters way more that they're not using lights. They're also not all students, they're people who ride day in, day out, for years, rather than for a few months till they give up and walk the 400 yards to their lectures.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
Bollo said:
I'd be more keen on Operation "get of that f***** mobile". It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel at the moment, it seems.

What's wrong with nicking drivers using mobiles AND cyclists without lights?

Vikeonabike

Cab said:
I rekon that a periodic crackdown could be wowthwhile, but I don't think that its targetted well. While there are a gazillion cyclists in November without lights on the streets in the middle of Cambridge (which are well lit and so plastered with cyclists that the risk to each individual seems slight), I'd favour targetting the suburban roads. Arbury Road, Milton Road, Cherry Hinton Road, etc. Less cyclists, but these ones are heading out to the outskirts that are less well lit, so it matters way more that they're not using lights. They're also not all students, they're people who ride day in, day out, for years, rather than for a few months till they give up and walk the 400 yards to their lectures.

Have to agree CAB, In Peterborough our crackdown is generally on Bridge Street in the ctty centre. A better lit place you could not hope to find.
Still I'm back out on a new patch 100% on my bike in January, so I think I'll keep a tally!

thomas

the tank engine
Vikeonabike said:
I handed out 120 tickets in a two week period last December (monday -friday between 4 & 6 pm) for cycling without lights.
To prove how well this worked I again spent two weeks in July between 4&6pm targeting cyclist riding in the dark without lights.
Result No tickets.
100 % reduction in cyclist riding without lights.
The Chief Constable was well chuffed

Wouldn't it still be light out in July at 4-6? Surely no need for lights.

Top Bottom