1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions / Advice required

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by Dan Ferris, 4 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dan Ferris

Dan Ferris Well-Known Member

Hi
    I have a 2016 giant defy advanced pro 3 which other than some continental tyres is standard.
    I'm now in the market for some new wheels and having done a reasonable oint of research I need some help.
    I sometimes feel the current wheels are a little sluggish and I'm sure they're also reasonably heavy considering they're the ones from the factory.
    I've looked at the below two options and unsure whether going hand built Vs the hunts is goojg to be any really different. The hunts I've seen are:

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...-light-disc-road-wheelset-1449g-28deep-22wide

After a bit of research I then found DCR Wheels. I have had a couple of recommendations after an email conversation and the options are below. I was wondering if anyone else had experiences with the below DCR Wheels?

DCR centre lock disc hubs

DCR 24/25 rims

Sapim CX-Ray spokes

OR:

weight down to about 1450g by going with our carbon rim

I ride through most conditions 30 or 40 miles a few times a week.

Thanks in advance

2. crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101 New Member

I don't have any specific advise about components and wheelsets but if you ride through wet conditions you might find carbon rims a bit of a pain, I know people who use them in the wet without complaint but the braking is usually not as sure and you have to be extra vigilant for stones getting caught in the pads and damaging the braking surface.

3. iluvmybike

iluvmybike Active Member

Its a disk brake wheel he's looking at therefore no issues with braking unlike with rim brakes

crazyjoe101 likes this.
  4. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

Without trotting out the well known Eddy Merckx saying I’m not so sure the weight difference will be that much different to the stock ones for the types you’re considering. Why don’t you weigh them to check?
    Do you think they’ll make all that difference to your performance or are you after a bit of bling? If you think they feel sluggish you might get an improvement by changing the tyres.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2018
  5. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

I have a few pairs of DCR Hunt wheels. A good few other forum members do too.
    Give David a call, he's good to talk to and knows his stuff. Tell him what you want and he'll recommend what would be good for you
    Highly recomended.

6. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry non-contributing ex-member

I've three pairs of DCR wheels. https://dcrwheels.co.uk/ I wouldn't go anywhere else.

7. crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101 New Member

my bad, I didn't even see the disc

8. OP
    OP
    Dan Ferris

Dan Ferris Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies above. I'm mainly looking for a set of wheels that spin up and roll a lot easier than the ones out of the factory.

As per my original post i have changed the tyres. Sounds like DCR come very highly recommended.