opinions if bike is too big

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jeffey

I'm not a beginner but a guy who took about 8 years off from cycling and just finished a bike build. I purchased everything new and on-line. I'm 6'2" with shorter legs and more torso. I was fitted 15 years ago for a 61cm and it seemed fine and i may ave shrunk a bit. I went ahead and ordered a 61cm frame because next one down was a 58cm and felt it would be too small (specialized). Bike build is finished but kinda bumbed because when i stand over it there is really no clearance especially at the handle bars because it slopes upward. Everything I'm reading indicates its probably too big. I'm going to have to live with this but was wondering if the most important thing is seat adjustments and stem length? I'm not concerned about crashing my nuggets, because that never happens. Looking for opinions on whether your reach is really most important? Thanks

Clearance on the top frame tube is usually only an issue off road. If its a road bike you shouldn't be getting any unplanned stops.

When you do stop - lean the bike away from traffic and you should be fine.
If you could put up a photo of you on the bike it would give people an idea. Side on shot.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Sizing in my opinion is more about reach, you have a longer torso so the bike may be the correct size.
I have very little top tube clearance on my road bikes, it doesn’t worry me.
Is it comfortable to ride?

battered

Guru
Bike shapes have changed. I have an old steel frame in a 21" , it's smaller and shorter than a modern 19. I suspect that you have fallen foul of this.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you’re okay in the Victor Silvester department you should be fine. Stem height/length variation should sort out any issues. I’m 6’1” and have a road bike with a 63cm steel frame and although it’s a little uncomfortable over the top tube I can manage. I use it with the standard stem as I like being a little stretched and prefer a bigger frame.

BTW hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffey

Jeffey

Clearance on the top frame tube is usually only an issue off road. If its a road bike you shouldn't be getting any unplanned stops.

When you do stop - lean the bike away from traffic and you should be fine.
If you could put up a photo of you on the bike it would give people an idea. Side on shot.
Here's my bi
ke and you can see that it slopes upward and there is no clearance for me, very little at seat post. But thanks for all the opinions and I agree with all of them so far. I dont ever have unplanned stops and if I do I can lean bike to the side. I do agree that proper fitting is most important with seat adjustments and handle bars. Actually going today to get fitted...Thanks

Attachments

• my bike.jpg
    my bike.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
Jeffey

Jeffey

Sizing in my opinion is more about reach, you have a longer torso so the bike may be the correct size.
I have very little top tube clearance on my road bikes, it doesn’t worry me.
Is it comfortable to ride?
I haven't ridden it much but yes it's a very nice ride so far. Coming from a tri-bike its much more comfortable.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My steel roadie is a smidge too big. A shorter stem has sorted the issue, I nudged the saddle forward just a tiny bit too, compared with my other bikes. I ride it miles and miles with no issues so I think I have it about right now. I suspect that bike was built for a chap 2 or 3“ taller than me.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its difficult to say without photos as there is no univerasl method ofmdescriving bicycle sizing, and the reality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Im taller than you, long arms like an orangutang and legs that'd make Daisy Duke blush, and can get away with 58 with many manufacturers. 61 is better for me.

My first paragraph notwithstanding, theres a netter than evens chance that 58 is ok formyou.

Top Bottom