Opinions on buying a 2005 specialized dolce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MLOwen

Regular
Hi guys,

My girlfriend is looking to get her first road bike and I've found a specialized dolce 2005 in okay condition going for £150. Do you think this would be a good price and decent first road bike?

Cheers

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm no expert but it's a good bike at a decent price - sounds like a great opportunity to see if she likes it. If she DOES like it, you can sell it and get a better one for Christmas!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Dolce is a good model but remember the bike is sixteen years old, it might be in ‘okay condition’ but how is it mechanically? It might need the same money or more again to get it back to a safe roadworthy condition if stuff is worn or unserviceable. Do you know how to check it out? Is it the right size for her?

I bought Mrs D a Dolce sport in 2004 (think it was £500), her first proper road bike, she used it for all sorts from 10 mile TT's to 200k audax, still got the frame as I wouldn't rule out building it up again sometime. Whether the one you're looking at is worth 150 quid depends on the condition but the one thing I would say is don't buy a bike that's the wrong size even if it's a steal.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'd have a look at it and check it over. If you do decide to buy I'd factor in a service as well from a decent bike shop for your own peace of mind.It will probably need something new I can guarantee it.

I'm also looking to buy a second hand bike for my girlfriend for her birthday. I've almost lost all the hope as there's barely anything decent on the second hand market (or in the new market for what it's worth...). It's such a gamble, either overpay for a second hand bike or taking the risk of replying to a dodgy gumtree advert that sounds too good to be true :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm also looking to buy a second hand bike for my girlfriend for her birthday. I've almost lost all the hope as there's barely anything decent on the second hand market (or in the new market for what it's worth...). It's such a gamble, either overpay for a second hand bike or taking the risk of replying to a dodgy gumtree advert that sounds too good to be true :laugh:
Try a wanted ad in the classifieds on this forum?
Where in the country are you. There’s an active Facebook group for bike sales in Yorkshire as an alternative
Or treat her to a new bike and take the risk out...but let her choose it!!!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The secondhand market is a joke at the moment people want as much nearly as for a new bike when its years old. I wouldn't be ripped off like that. What type of bike is she wanting? I'd personally get her something from Halfords if your not wanting to spend too much. The bikes are fine its just the assembly that can be hit and miss.

Lovacott

Über Member
My girlfriend is looking to get her first road bike and I've found a specialized dolce 2005 in okay condition going for £150. Do you think this would be a good price and decent first road bike?

A visual inspection will not show you if the chain is worn or if the cassette and crankset are knackered.

Worn drivetrains behave normally on the flat, but are next to useless under any sort of load (like a small hill or a quick burst of stand up power on the flat).

To test the bike properly, you'd have to take it out for a proper ride (a gentle potter along a flat residential street for 20 yards will not tell you anything).

If you spent a few quid on a chain checker tool like this one, you could establish in a second whether or not the chain was worn (and by extension, the cassette and the crankset).

You could also ask the seller how much the bike has been used?

I have a mate who bought a very impressive MTB back in 2006 and he went out on it twice in sunny weather and on flat cycle paths (one of the rides was at a Centre Parcs and he bought a bike carrier so he could take it there).

It's been sat at the back of his garage ever since.

I'd hazard a guess, but I'd say that the vast majority of bikes bought from Halfrods et al, end up at the back of garages with no more than 20 or 30 miles under their belts?

Fact is, if you do your due diligence, you could end up with the bargain of the century. If you don't, you could end up buying a nice looking frame needing £500 worth of parts to make it properly rideable.

Lovacott

Über Member
The secondhand market is a joke at the moment people want as much nearly as for a new bike when its years old. I wouldn't be ripped off like that. What type of bike is she wanting? I'd personally get her something from Halfords if your not wanting to spend too much. The bikes are fine its just the assembly that can be hit and miss.
I wouldn't go for a road bike as a first bike. You can pick up a half decent brand new hybrid from Hal-fords for under £200.

Then, if you discovered that you really didn't like cycling that much, you'd have spent about the same as a weekend for two in a Devon B&B.

If you really liked the cycling experience and wanted to get properly involved, you could sell the £200 hybrid and start looking at stuff around the £1000 mark.

A year in and I am at the £1000 bike level. The build quality, the design, the precision engineering, the pleasure.

I can't see myself pushing beyond a grand for a bike though. Maybe if I was 30 years younger?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Hmm... maybe it's a good time to sell on my Giant TCR, threads like this remind me that I've not even ridden it once in a year since I got my tourer.
Ive got CUK / CTC membership... Just need some Jesus sandals and a beard now.

Top Bottom