Opinions on CX bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
My kids do some CX racing, just for fun sort of stuff. My 10yr old son has a Worx JA700 which is a good bike for the money and we’ve been very pleased with it.

I’m looking for a CX bike for my 14yr old daughter, I nearly always buy on the second hand market for my kids bikes. Looking at options I can see a fair number of bikes like Boardman CX Comp, Trek Crossrip and stuff like that. My question is are these anygood fro CX racing or are they just pretend CX all purpose bikes? I don’t want to buy something too low down the market and then find out is is no good for racing.

What do you think?

I had a Boardman CX. It was a heavy bike, particularly for a teenager due to the alloy fork unless you went for the team model which has a carbon fork.

Often overlooked is the Wiggins Rouen bikes. The new 2020 models have cantilever brakes so ideal for wide tyres used for the CX racing. The bikes weight about 9.5kg off the bat and as they run Claris it’s fairly cheap to replace it parts break.

I’ve seen a few Focus Mares around but they are expensive! They look cool but sizing is a bit odd. A XXS is a 51cm frame.

OP
OP
Broadside

Broadside

Guru
Thanks, it was probably weight that I am most worried about with these lower end bikes, after they are caked in 10kgs of mud during a CX race they can become impossible to move!

Top Bottom