Opinions on Downtube/Friction shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
I'm giving these newfangled "Dia Compe Silver Shifters" a try on my bike. The price has gone up this year like most cycling gear.

They have a friction ratchet mechanism similar to the old Suntour Power shifters, but this design is more compact. Early days yet, but they seem to be working well and are fine working with a 9 speed cassette.

http://www.diacompe.com.tw/product/silver-w-shift-lever/

View attachment 611522

I had the bar-end version of these on a commuter bike. Easy to use and reliable.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm giving these newfangled "Dia Compe Silver Shifters" a try on my bike. The price has gone up this year like most cycling gear.

They have a friction ratchet mechanism similar to the old Suntour Power shifters, but this design is more compact. Early days yet, but they seem to be working well and are fine working with a 9 speed cassette.

http://www.diacompe.com.tw/product/silver-w-shift-lever/

View attachment 611522
They look beautiful. If I wasn't so tight I'd buy a set for my Peugeot!

GuyBoden

Guru
My fav Suntour Power Shifters look like they can be used as braze on, as can be seen in the diagram below, but the braze on boss doesn't seem to fit on my 1980's road bike. Has anyone used these as braze on?

Suntour Power Shifter diagram.
Suntour Power Shifter Diagram.png

These Suntour Symmetrical are interesting too:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-...tour-symmetric-reassembly-challenge-pics.html
rVvffZS.jpg

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
what are you saying? you already have bosses (i.e equiv of part 20) brazed onto a bike, but your equivalent of 17 doesn't thread into it? in which case can you not use the bolts that were securing the original shifters?

GuyBoden

Guru
what are you saying? you already have bosses (i.e equiv of part 20) brazed onto a bike, but your equivalent of 17 doesn't thread into it? in which case can you not use the bolts that were securing the original shifters?
Apparently, after a bit of googling, I find that not all braze on bosses for shifters are the same. It's not only bolts.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Apparently, after a bit of googling, I find that not all braze on bosses for shifters are the same. It's not only bolts.
ah, that's annoying although not surprising I guess, although more fittings were standard and interchangeable back that. You cant simply use the band on, as the existing bosses would get in the way. You could use a pair of Suntour bar cons power shifters - I can vouch for the fact that they work superbly. you can get cable guides that attach to the bosses

Dale 1956

Just wondering what people think of them?

I've seen a few bikes that looked really nice untill I see friction operated shifters and then somehow they seem really... ancient.
What with all the indexed shifters out there it seems like a step backward. Particually on roade/race bikes.

Do any of you still use friction shift? Maybe some of you changed from index to friction? Do you people find it a pain in the arse or somewhat pleasing?
I still use them my self they are friction shifters only

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_083208872.jpg
    IMG_20211021_083208872.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20211021_083248241.jpg
    IMG_20211021_083248241.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 18

Fredo76

Über Member
I'm used to friction shifters, being a geezer. They work fine for me, and they're definitely not as finicky to set up. But on the down tube, they are now a heroic reach, and I'm no hero, so they're on the stem, just like a Schwinn Varsity.

No matter! :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm used to friction shifters, being a geezer. They work fine for me, and they're definitely not as finicky to set up. But on the down tube, they are now a heroic reach, and I'm no hero, so they're on the stem, just like a Schwinn Varsity.

No matter! :smile:

View attachment 615494
perfect, one to impale each testicle on!:laugh:

FrothNinja

Veteran
Adjusted the friction gears on my Centurion yesterday, now bob on in spite of a bit of float. Its just a bog standard el-cheapo Triplex set and single shifter. Think I will have to look at changing the cable soon. Bike wouldn't be right without reaching down to shift. Requires a bit of finesse to use friction rather than indexed gears.

Top Bottom