Opinions please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

JAH

Regular
Sorry...meant to show the bike:
upload_2019-7-21_22-19-40.png

alicat

Legendary Member
What's the token sum? If under £20 and the right size for you, I'd go for it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If it's for little money you'd be silly to turn it down. Just be aware Apollo stuff is sub standard in just about every aspect in my experience so don't expect too much in terms of quality and function.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Claud Butler is basic, but it's a step above what we would call a BSO (bicycle shaped object = a bike so heavy, and cheaply built that the only resemblance to a useful bicycle is its shape).

You won't be winning any TDFs, but with 700c wheels it should roll well enough, and the position should not be stressful. Be prepared to change the seat and tyres, but otherwise it's probably more than up to the job of providing reliable transport.

just to add to the comments, the Apollo if cheap may suit but be prepared to maintain it, we had one in the house for a while, after every ride, the brakes needed adjusting.

it may buy you some time whilst you look around for an upgrade. you could always pass the Apollo on once you get set up with another bike.

best of Luck with it and enjoy riding with your daughter.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Claud Butler is basic, but it's a step above what we would call a BSO (bicycle shaped object = a bike so heavy, and cheaply built that the only resemblance to a useful bicycle is its shape).

You won't be winning any TDFs, but with 700c wheels it should roll well enough, and the position should not be stressful. Be prepared to change the seat and tyres, but otherwise it's probably more than up to the job of providing reliable transport.
It sold to someone else based on comment above :smile:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
just to add to the comments, the Apollo if cheap may suit but be prepared to maintain it, we had one in the house for a while, after every ride, the brakes needed adjusting.

it may buy you some time whilst you look around for an upgrade. you could always pass the Apollo on once you get set up with another bike.

best of Luck with it and enjoy riding with your daughter.

JAH, definitely try the Apollo out for size and give it a few weeks to see how you get on. Once you get the bug popping down to the shops and pootling around you will have a better idea of what you would like should you decide to buy something of your own.

You can get mudguards fitted to the Apollo for £30 which you can always transfer to another bike later.

We bought a [cheap] second hand Viking tandem to see if we'd like it, which is a bit heavy and scruffy but we love it but can't bring ourselves to upgrade to a posher one as it's done us proud so far!

OP
OP
J

JAH

Regular
I did pop into Halfords the other day, just to sit on some bikes to check for size, and I was strangely drawn to the Carrera Axle (based on looks really, as I didn't even ride it round the shop). Went to my local bike shop this afternoon on my way from work and was most disappointed to find that they no longer buy or sell second hand bikes. They say that it is too much of a minefield in the area because of the huge increase in bicycle theft. There are a couple of other local independent bike shops, but apparently they are of the same mind. They all sell beautiful new bikes, but even the cheapest are way out of my price range right now. So, back to e-bay, Halfords or Decathlon I guess! I'm waiting to hear about the Apollo, but may take another look at the Axle, as there's a few quid off it at the moment too. Is the Carrera range generally a bit better than the Apollo range then? They seem very popular...

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I did pop into Halfords the other day, just to sit on some bikes to check for size, and I was strangely drawn to the Carrera Axle (based on looks really, as I didn't even ride it round the shop). Went to my local bike shop this afternoon on my way from work and was most disappointed to find that they no longer buy or sell second hand bikes. They say that it is too much of a minefield in the area because of the huge increase in bicycle theft. There are a couple of other local independent bike shops, but apparently they are of the same mind. They all sell beautiful new bikes, but even the cheapest are way out of my price range right now. So, back to e-bay, Halfords or Decathlon I guess! I'm waiting to hear about the Apollo, but may take another look at the Axle, as there's a few quid off it at the moment too. Is the Carrera range generally a bit better than the Apollo range then? They seem very popular...
I wouldn't worry about suspension forks, they add weight to the bike and unless you are going off road on rough tracks they add nothing to the ride. Plus, part of your peddling power goes into rocking the forks up and down.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
£20 to get started isn't too bad. Realise it will be far from what a good bike will feel like but will get you started. Then gives you time to decide if you want to do more or are happy enough pootling round with your daughter.

OP
OP
J

JAH

Regular
upload_2019-7-22_23-23-25.png

£75 on Gumtree, very local to me. Giant cypress. Any good?
Might call and check it out.
Doesn't say frame size.

Top Bottom