Opinions please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Difficult to say if it's a MTB style frame (which looks like it may be) with a higher bottom bracket then you should be okay. Give it a try.

OP
OP
J

JAH

Regular
You snooze, you lose!
That's gone too!!! Can't shop for used bikes and go to work.
So, still looking out. Still pondering the Carrera Axle. Took a little ride on it in the store today and it felt nice. (Also tried out the Carrera Crossfire 1 and that was good too - I liked the upright riding position, but the suspension fork put me off a little). Could get 10% off Halfords, and both of these are on offer so would just about be within my budget.

vickster

Legendary Member
You snooze, you lose!
That's gone too!!! Can't shop for used bikes and go to work.
So, still looking out. Still pondering the Carrera Axle. Took a little ride on it in the store today and it felt nice. (Also tried out the Carrera Crossfire 1 and that was good too - I liked the upright riding position, but the suspension fork put me off a little). Could get 10% off Halfords, and both of these are on offer so would just about be within my budget.
You said you’re in Nottingham. Why not see what your local not for profit bike coop has. You’ll know that it’s decent mechanically

http://www.nottinghambikeworks.org.uk/what-we-do/bikeshop/bikes-for-sale/
Eg
http://www.nottinghambikeworks.org.uk/product/claud-butler-bike/
Bikeshop

Fantastic selection of refurbished, serviced and guaranteed used bikes for sale
Professional repair and service workshop where you can get your own bike serviced and repaired by our qualified mechanics
Comprehensive range of good value parts and spares both new and used

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JAH

Regular
Good afternoon!
Can anyone give me any info about this bike?
Someone near me is selling it and wants a tenner! She says it needs brakes and tyres. Apparently the tyres are 26" x 1.5" and the frame size is 18".
I'm tempted to give it a go and see what it will cost to sort it out. If it is too much money/time/trouble, then I'll donate it to my local bike charity and cut my losses. The woman needs it gone by midday tomorrow as she is moving away. I can't read more than 'Raleigh' on the frame! What kind of brakes are these? (Trying to get some idea of replacement costs!)
Thanks for your time...
upload_2019-7-27_18-31-20.png

vickster

Legendary Member
Certainly worth a punt for a tenner. How tall are you? I think an 18” frame would usually be for 5’5-5’8 or thereabouts

Cycleops

Legendary Member
For a tennner take it. It's an old MTN style bike from the 90's. Could possibly be a aluminum frame or oversized steel, if the former it'll be quite light. Can't see properly from your pic but the chain set looks worn, if so the chain and rear free wheel may also need replacement. Not too expensive. Check the tyres are not cracked, even if they are its a cheap replacement. What's on look like Schwalbe, a premium make with puncture protection.
The brakes are cantilever type, very effective if pads are good. Budget for new cables all round, about a tenner.
These are the bikes @SkipdiverJohn loves:wub:.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You should be okay.. The seat looks at its lowest just about. Sit on it, when seated and one pedal at six o clock that leg should be straight or thereabouts.

OP
OP
J

JAH

Regular
Thank you.
I'll go and see. The vendor leaves Nottingham tomorrow, so just needs it gone. I may well just take it and check it out. If it needs too much time/money or expertise to get it sorted, I'll pass it on to someone who can do that, or donate it. I need something to be up and running soon, or half of the school holidays will have gone and I won't have had a single ride!

tom73

Guru
Hot foot it round and take it. As @Cycleops say's its not too hard to check if it fits.
It don't look too bad maybe a new chain and stuff but it's not that much to fix it.
Take it to the local bike charity you know about and get them to sort it for you they will soon fix it up at little cost for you.

Top Bottom