Orbea d20 learning curve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MGman

Just bought a used Orbea d20 ebike machine manufactured in 2020 and am struggling to understand the Mahle "assist" controls.

The control on the cross bar is straightforward (the three assist levels can be changed up and down when then the led light is blinking.) And for an old man (81) belive me the bike is a world of difference to my Ribble and Genesis bikes when on the New Forest trails.

The bar mounted led display ( Mahle's PulsarOne) numerically indicates the Assistance Levels 1,2 or 3. as well as the led colour change on the cross bar: green, amber and red. All well and good.

But here's the confusion; some websites (Ribble is one) imply that the button R on the Mahle Pulsar display can also be used to change the assistance level. I've tried to do this but while the lcd display changes to say 3 ( highest assist level) the motor does not respond and after a few seconds the display returns to zero.

I suspect that the websites are incorrect but as I've bought the bike via Gumtree I've no dealer to ask. So those of you who have a similar Mahle X35 motor might like to comment?

Dadam

I have a Gain D40 I bought new in 2022, but it came with the simpler "Coachsmart" display/controller, with up and down buttons for the assist. I'm sure you should be able to use the Pulsar display to change assist levels. I test rode an M20 at the shop which I believe had that controller and was able to change level while riding.
It might just be that the device needs to be re-paired to the bike.
I found the manual here online - not the easiest document to follow but it might help.

Video on how to pair:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stVyhiLbRuI

Last edited:
OP
OP
MGman

MGman

I have a Gain D40 I bought new in 2022, but it came with the simpler "Coachsmart" display/controller, with up and down buttons for the assist. I'm sure you should be able to use the Pulsar display to change assist levels. I test rode an M20 at the shop which I believe had that controller and was able to change level while riding.
It might just be that the device needs to be re-paired to the bike.
I found the manual here online - not the easiest document to follow but it might help.

Thanks I'll try a repair but that was no easy task either

OP
OP
MGman

MGman

Just an update
First had my personal memory re set. The bike is actually
an Orbea M20. Not that it makes much difference!

Been in contact with Mahle ( the motor manufacturer) who've been extremely helpful. They reason that the Assistance Level should be operable via the Pulsar screen and as mine doesn't - it needs a firmware update.

Finding a dealer was another matter. My local dealer in Christchurch wouldnt undertake this as I didn't buy the bike from !! ( can partly understand this - but a short update??)
So it's with 99 bikes ( was Hargreaves) in Totten (Southampton) I'll report back should anyone else have a problem.

OP
OP
MGman

MGman

Further update.

Because as said the local dealer in Christchurch wouldnt help I turned to 99 Bikes in Totten. very helpful and would undertake the firmware update, But.....

But, the first update didn't work and the 2nd disconnected the drive ( only a white light on the top bar showing - as opposed to the normal green, amber and red).

Orbea are sending a new battery which apparently has the Mahle motor's computer within it. But because it's a lithium there will a delivery delay. (Safety concerns)
Will I have the bike for our Loire tour in October? Watch this post!
BTW, 99 Bikes Totten are good people to deal with.

OP
OP
MGman

MGman

Orbea have confirmed, through 99Bikes, that they will provide new battery FOC but but it must be sent by boat & it won't arrive in time for our Loire trip in early September.
It certainly has been a saga, but Mahle and 99 bikes (Southampton) have been most helpful.
The Loire trip? Well I'm told that being a river its fairly flat anyway.

Orbea have confirmed, through 99Bikes, that they will provide new battery FOC but but it must be sent by boat & it won't arrive in time for our Loire trip in early September.
It certainly has been a saga, but Mahle and 99 bikes (Southampton) have been most helpful.
The Loire trip? Well I'm told that being a river its fairly flat anyway.

Hmm - some of the river sneak in some hills near the banks
Lakes in the Lake District do the same!

Still - that's what gears are for

OP
OP
MGman

MGman

Well "all's well that ends well", got the bike back. Everything thing works including the upgraded firmware which allows control of assistance via the iWoc.
The French river trip with the Ribble went well, but didn't come across any hilly rivers.

Top Bottom