Orbea Gain charger problem? Charger or bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Charging the Gain today in readiness for a longer ride tomorrow. Checking the bike found that it had charged from 40% to 76%, IWOC light constant and red light on charger off (no light). Disconnected charger from bike and socket, plugged in switched on , green light came on, and reconnected charger to bike. Red light came on, IWOC light flashing as usual - charging. After just a few seconds light on charger went out, IWOC light constant again, charging stopped. Disconnected charger, light remained off. After a few minutes switched charger on again, green light back again. Went through whole procedure again, same result. Is the fault in the charger or the bike? Anyone had a similar problem?

CXRAndy

Guru
Charging the Gain today in readiness for a longer ride tomorrow. Checking the bike found that it had charged from 40% to 76%, IWOC light constant and red light on charger off (no light). Disconnected charger from bike and socket, plugged in switched on , green light came on, and reconnected charger to bike. Red light came on, IWOC light flashing as usual - charging. After just a few seconds light on charger went out, IWOC light constant again, charging stopped. Disconnected charger, light remained off. After a few minutes switched charger on again, green light back again. Went through whole procedure again, same result. Is the fault in the charger or the bike? Anyone had a similar problem?

You either need a spare known good charger to see if problem lay with battery. If it charges fine your original charger is faulty.

Take it to a orbea dealer to do the above test

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

If I leave the charger connected to the main supply after disconnecting bike it does not reset - the green light does not come on, however long I leave it. It will only come on again if I switch off the mains supply and then re-connect the charger.
Can anyone recommend a dealer in the NE - Newcastle/Gateshead/Northumberland area?

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Phoned PUREELECTRIC at Gateshead, and took bike in this afternoon. Richard at the shop was onto the problem very quickly and connected another charger to my bike, which charged quite normally, and my charger to one of the Orbeas in the shop. My charger failed immediately - diagnosis, faulty charger. Great service, impressive showroom with a large range of ebikes and scooters. Lovely Scott e-Addict road bikes. Well worth a visit!

Scaleyback

Veteran
Great to know, Gateshead easily reached for me if needed. Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow-up info.

CXRAndy

Guru
Phoned PUREELECTRIC at Gateshead, and took bike in this afternoon. Richard at the shop was onto the problem very quickly and connected another charger to my bike, which charged quite normally, and my charger to one of the Orbeas in the shop. My charger failed immediately - diagnosis, faulty charger. Great service, impressive showroom with a large range of ebikes and scooters. Lovely Scott e-Addict road bikes. Well worth a visit!
:okay:

Jim Mc M

Hi all... Just joined the site tonight.. I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem today.. The bike wouldn't charge past 67%, and I had it on for hours.. I then realised that I hadnt tried charging my extender.. It was at 90%, and wouldn't charge any higher... I'm imagining that it must be the charger, just a pity that my local shop where I purchased from is terrible!!!! I know he'll try to fleece me when I go this week lol... Where we are in Ireland, there as so very few bike shops... What kinda price are the chargers?? I have a great techy guy locally, are they repairable??
Thanks for any help

Jim

Top Bottom