Ordered my first road bike today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Well after many hours pouring over bike reviews, threads on this forum and numerous bike related websites, plus trips to different bike shops i finally made my decision and ordered my first road bike this afternoon. In the end it was a toss-up between a Specialized Roubaix comp or a Van Nicholas Euros.

So off i went to Corridori Cycle Sport and spoke to Paul Smith, who i must say was very helpful, and answered every (dumb) question i threw at him. After much thought and trying both bikes out i fell in love with the titanium frame so much that i decided on the Euros.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The spec i have ordered is Shimano Ultegra compact 34-50 with Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset. I went over my budget set by the Mrs, but when i told her on the phone she took it rather well (think she was half expecting it anyway!)

I am so pleased, i cant wait for the call to say it's ready to be picked up:becool:

jay

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
nice one mate. I think your wise to get something good straight off instead of getting an entry level bike then quickly upgrading to what you wanted in the first place. Hope you have a long love affair with it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We want photos and a full report! Congrats! Will you be keeping it locked indoors?

I ride a Ti hardtail MTB so I think you're going to enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Banjo said:
I think your wise to get something good straight off instead of getting an entry level bike then quickly upgrading to what you wanted in the first place.

This is a major investment for me, thats why i went for this spec, i don't want to be forking out on upgrades 1 or 2 years down the line.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Globalti said:
We want photos and a full report! Congrats! Will you be keeping it locked indoors?

I ride a Ti hardtail MTB so I think you're going to enjoy the ride.

As soon as i have the bike i shall be posting pictures up im sure....:smile:

I hope to be securing the garage soon with a new front door and window into the garage (probably pvc with 5 point locks) and some large bolts for the garage door itself, but until then it will take pride of place in the hallway

hotmetal

Sounds fantastic. You don't see that many Ti frames around. I also think you've done the right thing getting a quality bike with a good spec and nice wheels from the off. Having had 'budget' bikes and expensive ones, I now don't bother with buying cheap and thinking about upgrades - save up and get what I want first off. I don't race and I'm not bothered about that last half a mph or gram, but IMO it brings SO much more pleasure when riding, (especially uphill!) and usually is more reliable too. Knowing that I would enjoy riding more with a better bike, I spent my grand on a 2nd hand Giant TCR with Campag Record and Eurus wheels, whereas otherwise I was going to be in the aluminium frame, 105 and (if I was lucky Aksiums) bracket. Not that there's anything wrong with that stuff - it would have been more appropriate to my experience and fitness, but what I've got now is so much fun and I won't need to upgrade ever, probably. Hope you enjoy your bike as much as I do mine!

My bike also spent the first week or 2 in the living room! It's now locked up to my mountainbike with a big ground anchor the same as the one my motorbike is secured with. If I lost any of my bikes I would be heartbroken.

Norm

hotmetal said:
... but what I've got now is so much fun and I won't need to upgrade ever...
Until I've figured out how to get past the ground anchor. No need to worry about the motorised one, hottie, I'll be after the other two. :biggrin:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Goes to a corner and cries with envy !!

NNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIICEEEE !!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
lazyj said:
As soon as i have the bike i shall be posting pictures up im sure....:smile:

I hope to be securing the garage soon with a new front door and window into the garage (probably pvc with 5 point locks) and some large bolts for the garage door itself, but until then it will take pride of place in the hallway

Never mind the hallway it should be in the bedroom for the first few weeks at least then maybe relegated to the hallway.:biggrin:

Top Bottom