Ordnance Survey symbol question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Anyone know what the OS symbol in the middle shown below is? I'm guessing some sort of observatory.

Anyone know what the OS symbol in the middle shown below is? I'm guessing some sort of observatory.

View attachment 593620

I think it represents a solar farm.

stephec

Legendary Member
What scale of map are you using?

I did a quick Google and this thread was the third result, but no sign of that symbol in the images for explorer maps.

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I think it represents a solar farm.
Now that makes a lot of sense. I thought it was trying to show the sun rising, but could only think observatory.

@stephec I think it's 1:50000 I got it off bikehike.
@midlife car charging point aswell! Imagine saying that to the original map makers.

It's near Bosworth battlefield if any local wants to ride over and check it out!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Grrrr - more and more green field sites being used for this. What's wrong with the acres and acres of roofs.........:wacko:
Off the top of my head, rooftop farms wouldn't offer the same economies of scale, ease of access for maintenance, ease of planning or return on investment.

Not that I like green spaces to be filled with such equipment.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Off the top of my head, rooftop farms wouldn't offer the same economies of scale, ease of access for maintenance, ease of planning or return on investment.

The grass below is still growing and can be grazed by sheep or turned to a meadow.
I presume most are on fairly unproductive arable land.
The visuals are no different from the acres of plastic sheet covering virtually every other field in some parts of Kent to grow fruit

Drago

Legendary Member

And don't get the same government subsidies.

Im not a fan, but as a consumer im part of the problem so in no position to complain about the solution.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If they keep metal framing supporting the panels clear of the ground to get equipment underneath and a tractor width between the struts then the ground is accessible to grow things or to graze.

... bet they haven't though!

Top Bottom