Origins of steel pedals???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Hello Hive
Does anyone know when all steel pedals started being available to the public?
Not necessarily quills but the ones like animal traps (like the ones from my Centurion pictured).
I've seen a pair recently on an allegedly pre 1922 pic. On a bike that looks set up for flat track racing but with mudguards, a bell, and rod brakes
210907 8745a.jpg

Bike b - Copy.jpg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They're designed for the fitting of toe clips, so early 20th century.

https://www.scadatw.com/toe-clip-pedals/

They were well-established by 1911.

mpemburn

I’ve heard them referred to as “rat trap” pedals. Before the advent of quick-release pedals, when combined with slotted shoe cleats, toe clips, and straps, they were very much akin to a trap. I can recall crashing on the road side while strapped in. {PANIC!!}

Drago

Legendary Member
Bob Geldof made a song about them.
Indeed. He wrote I Don't Like Mondays becuase cycling to work with rat traps made a mess if his shins.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Here's a reference to steel pedals from my copy of The Badminton Library, Cycling, 2nd edition, 1889.

No illustration of them, and no mention of toe-clips at this early date. I wish I had a 1st edition (1887?) for comparison!

presta

Guru
I've always assumed that the name rat trap was coined because they look like the jaws of animal traps, but I've also seen it argued that it derives from the French verb rattaper, to catch up, which seems less likely to me.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
A George Moore cartoon from 1885. The corporeal being on the right clearly has rat traps; his spirit competitor has the advantage of wings, but also the drag of a scythe. Despite this, I think he'll win in the end.

Top Bottom