Orthopedic Insoles - Anyone had custom made ones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RaRa

After months of hip pain I finally gave in and went to the doc's last week. I was recommended a trip to physiotherapy and amongst other things they have identified that my arches on both feet have completely collapsed inwards and have advised that I should consider getting some arch support insoles.
I've done a bit of research and was wondering if anyone has gone ahead with the expensive custom made insoles or if they are a bit of a con and the Dr Scholls one's I can get off amazon for less than 10 quid will be just as good?
Also does anyone have any experince of cycling with them? Any issues with fitting them into your average cycling shoe etc?

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I had custom made orthodics a few years ago, expensive at 230 seemed ok for a while but then knee injuries came back, so I personally wouldn't bother again.

OP
OP
RaRa

RaRa

Thanks - thats the way I'm currently leaning, cant justify spend 300 quid on foot cushions!

vickster

Legendary Member
I have been using these for about 6 months following advice from physio for dodgy knee. Went to the local Shuropody and was advice to get the off the shelf ones until they wore out and then perhaps get custom ones later if needed. http://www.physioroom.com/product/Footmedics_3_4_Length_Foot_Orthotic/2982/38263.html

I paid £35 in store - seemed a good compromise - was advised to get the half ones rather than the full ones as they are more likely to fit in all shoes
They live in my trainers

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I had custom orthotics made about 10 years ago and wouldn't be without them!
They don't fit onto my cycling shoes, though I don't actually need them for cycling, just walking or running.

I had custom ones made some 6 or 7 years ago and would not be without them. I don't wear dedicated cycling shoes, so can't comment, but they fit everything except open toed sandals... Cost was well (insert expletive here) expensive +£300 for 2 pairs (one thick, one much thinner), but outweighed by the ability to be able to walk again and they are still going strong after constant everyday use for 7 years.

The NHS ones my OH had have repeatedly perished and he has finally given up with them - but he did wear them in his cycle boots without issue, but he has now gone over to the ones from Shuropody which seem much better for him, but he has had them less than 6 months so far...

OP
OP
RaRa

RaRa

Thanks for the comments everyone - I've ordered some off the shelf ones to try. If they seem to help I'll then probably look at some custom made insoles later in the year.

Manonabike

Über Member
I've had three pairs over the years for my flat feet. The first pair were free on the NHS over 10 years ago. The second pair were £30 and the last pair £60, maybe 6 years ago.

I used to play football so I needed the insoles on a daily basis (Dr Scholles) proved to be a waist of money - I don't need insoles for cycling but I do wear them sometimes and they do feel very comfortable.

Top Bottom