Ortleib large saddle bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
It's Dumb Run V next week. Usually I do this on fixed, and I have a Carradice Trax on my Pompino that does the job nicely in terms of waterproofs, warm mid-layer and the necessary jelly babies, jerky, whisky and malt loaf, not to mention travelling repair kit.

I'm taking the Pinarello this year, which is my lightweight road bike. The only luggage capacity it has is a Pedro's saddle bag, which currently manages two inner tubes, a multi-tool, tyre levers, an inflator and some patches.

I can't put the Trax on the Pinarello because I don't want the mount to damage my lovely carbon seat post. So I was contemplating the Ortlieb large saddle pack but 34 quid is a lot to punt on an uknown without being able to see it first. Has anyone got one of these? How big is it in the flesh? Could it take a microfleece, Gore-tex, camera, woolly hat, food etc? How does it behave on the bike?

Sam

Bluebell72

Hi Sam,

I ordered one from Wiggle earlier this week, I'm expecting it in the post today/tomorrow, I'll let you know then.

I've been using a large one (2.7 litre) on my commute for the last 5-years (£25 back then) and it's still going strong.

It's been 100% water-proof although I tend to put a carrier-bag around it if it's wet just to keep it clean.

Whether it will hold what you want to stick in it is had to say (you know what the volumes are from their website) but I stick in mine tools, tubes, rain jacket, sandwiches and a few other bits-and-bobs without problems.

Some observations:

1) It does taper quite a bit toward the seat post so you need to stick soft/foldable things in first.

2) If you jam-pack it to capacity it can be a little difficult to get the roll-closure nicely folded over - for extra peace-of-mind I use a little velcro strap between the D-rings to hold them tightly together.

3) I also use a longer strap through the seat-rails and under the bag just for a bit of additional stress relief on the bracket - I've no real reason to think this necessary but that's what I do. The bracket itself has reasonable lateral adjustment so you can adjust its position according to how far forward/back your saddle is.

4) If used regularly the seat-post fixing will likely mark your seat-post - so you might want put a bit of tape or something round your post where it makes contact.

5) In use it's completely stable in that I don't notice it being there.

In conclusion, if you know it has the capacity that you need, I think they're great for when a regular saddle pack is too small but you don't want something on your back.

Hi Sam, I've got one but I've not used it much its a bit big for my needs, I'm also wary about the bit that touches the carbon seat post, that said I padded it a bit and there was no damage when I used it. If its any help I've snapped it with a few things of the approximate itinerary you've listed next to a 30cm scale (33cm end to end), you'd get a little more if you packed it well but not much more. I can't recall how it handles though the last time I used it was when the sirrus was still a flat bar bike but I can't recall noting anything untoward.
5819081000_21c070b3c6_z.jpg

5819085760_e66c650a41_z.jpg

5818522043_6954d77e9c_z.jpg

OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

Thanks! Sometimes it blows me away just how insanely helpful people are around here
wub.gif

You weren't contemplating parting with that one, were you, HLaB?

Otherwise it looks just about what I need and I think I shall have to get one.

Sam

The Carradura Maxi might be another contender. They've improved it recently over the older one I had, better colour and better fixings. It's about £20 and would take all the things you listed.

The one below is mine and the older model.

IMG_3636_resize.JPG

Bluebell72

Hi Sam,
I was just about to upload pics of my new saddlebag and items in it, when no need, someone else has done it.

It looks good, I'm home from work now, so going to fix the bag to the seat, and orf for a ride :biggrin:

Thanks! Sometimes it blows me away just how insanely helpful people are around here
wub.gif

You weren't contemplating parting with that one, were you, HLaB?

Otherwise it looks just about what I need and I think I shall have to get one.

Sam

I hadn't planned on parting with it at the moment.

OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

Thanks all. I didn't go to PBK because since they changed their website they now charge a fiver for priority picking, plus an extra fiver for priority shipping
wacko.gif
angry.gif
. Not impressed by that at all. I need the thing by next Friday.

Sam

Top Bottom