Ortlieb back roller damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
Hi
I have a pair of back roller classics and one of them has sustained damaged to the front edge.
Although virtually everyone says things like 'they are bomb-proof' etc - which maybe they are ^_^ - but the design of the outer PVC face means that there is a sharp-ish edge on the inside of the pannier.
Possibly not usually a problem, but I have obviously plonked this particular one down on something 'orrible and this edge has meant the cordura-type fabric has been sliced open on this edge.
i really hope this is making sense and that I have explained it properly - I have attached a photo which hopefully makes it clear.
Not really a criticism of the panniers as it is my rough handling that has caused it I've no doubt, I maybe think it could do with a look at the design - bit arrogant of me possibly, but everyone needs feedback :rolleyes:
Ortlieb have very kindly offered to repair the tear, but it will cost me over £20 after postage, and, although I don't think it's a bad price, being a cheapskate I thought I'd ask if anyone had any advice on repairing it myself.
My plan was to do a neat-ish job with gaffa but that may be a rubbish idea.
Thanks for any advice in advance
Rick

Attachments

• Ortlieb tear.jpg
    Ortlieb tear.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you are in Poole, as your avatar suggests. Find a sail maker and ask them for a scrap piece of number material. The material they use to make numbers and logos for sails. It is like sticky backed plastic and will do the job. We use it for all sorts of fixes. It will cost you pennies, if anything at all.

Warning.......

I had a similar issue on an old pair, and even with a patch the "slit" opened up and became an issue.

I eventually was forced to buy a new pair

( I don't do single panniers)

U

User482

OP, mine split in the same place and I repaired it successfully with the Ortleib repair kit. You will need to turn the pannier inside out and place some weight (I suggest a few books) on the repair until it sets.

I'm not convinced Ortleibs are as well made as they used to be.

One of mine did that on the rear edge near the top. Just stitched it up.

+1, cotton thread and needle can be had for a few pence and 5 minutes of your time. Less faff than posting to Ortlieb.

You'll have to be mindful of the waterproofing being compromised though, if you do a good neat job, the repellent should still work fine.

+1, cotton thread and needle can be had for a few pence and 5 minutes of your time. Less faff than posting to Ortlieb.

You'll have to be mindful of the waterproofing being compromised though, if you do a good neat job, the repellent should still work fine.
A good seam sealant can improve this

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm not convinced Ortleibs are as well made as they used to be.

I ripped a back roller city within 2 hours of use when the buckle got caught. I got it replaced under goodwill by the distributor, but I was surprised that it ripped so easily.

It would be unreasonable to assume the material could put up with being clobbered, yanked and torn. The stitching could perhaps be weaker in newer models, but I haven't had any problems with mine, and if some threading were to come loose, it's an easy DIY fix. OPs picture shows it not a seam that's come undone, the material has torn.

Looking at my roller plus here, the material must have taken a battering, it's pretty sturdy stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Thanks for all your replies. Confused is right in that the tear isn't on a seam but I wouldn't say the pannier has really taken a battering. As I said in my original post, the front PVC material forms a definite crease in the side cordura-like fabric which makes an edge to cut through the material. So I assume I have have probably come up against something sharpish, which has led to the tear.
The material does feel as if it can take a lot of punishment, which is why I'm surprised as I am reasonably careful with them.
I got some number material from a local sail maker so will try that first and post the result Thanks again all

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Hi
I have a pair of back roller classics and one of them has sustained damaged to the front edge.
Rick
Ortlieb panniers are welded, not stitched, and the best way of making a repair is to glue a patch over the hole (on the inside in this case).
Ortlieb sell repair kits with suitable patches and glue.
Such repairs are good - I've got patches on a pair of front rollers that have been in place for 20 years, with no lifting of the patch edges or leaks (protruding bolt ends on the rack).

The damage looks more like it's abrasion rather than a tear to me, concentrated at the seam because it stands proud on the rest of the fabric.

Top Bottom