ortlieb classic roller panniers.how do you....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Roll them towards the bike - 3 times to be waterproof according to their instructions. Then clip the strap and pull tight to stop it unrolling and finally you can use the carrying strap to lock down into that little clip near the bottom of the bag - it pulls in the top of the bag - which I otherwise catch my leg on sometimes.

Sometimes I leave the bag open - if I have bought a bagette for example. And other times I've put too much in so I can only roll it over once. I make sure I do the 3x if its torrential rain - and so far its definately been waterproof.

Wobbly John

Veteran
You can either roll the top and fold the ends down to clip to the strap as in the website photos, or you can roll the top and fold the ends up, in and clip them together, which is quicker.

helmet tester

Thats interesting..looked at the photo, does that not make a crease that rain can gather in?
Also realised they got an inner storage compartment with a zip and a mesh pocket i think ? D'OH ! this is great, but i'd assumed there was literally just one big compartment and went and bought a clip-in organiser !

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Wobbly John said:
or you can roll the top and fold the ends up, in and clip them together, which is quicker.

I didn't know you could do that... I've just had a quick fiddle to check mine did that.... Thank you.

e-rider

crappy member
If you roll them and then join the two side at the top without the shoulder strap (this is what I do) you create a nice little handle to carry them. The rain will sit in a few folds then but mine have still never leaked.

I didn't know that they now come with internal type pockets - mine just have one large space.
As far as closing them - just roll them the necessary number of times until fully closed and then fasten the buckle thing and tighten the strap.

Mine definitely came with instructions but they are simple to use and so you don't really need them.
Make sure you correctly set the lower clip that holds to the pannier rack as this stops them shaking about.

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

yes, i was surprised to find an inner pocket too - very pleased though ; going to significantly reduce my luggage !

SoulOnIce

JohnRedcoRn said:
yes, i was surprised to find an inner pocket too - very pleased though ; going to significantly reduce my luggage !

This inner pocket thing sounds new to me cos my Ortlieb's don't have one. But then again mine are 12 years old and the inner pocket may be only on newer models.

helmet tester

must be new because i deliberated for ages over which panniers to buy - i like pockets etc but i went for the ortliebs on recommendations and reviews which suggested they pretty much last forever and are 100% waterproof. Theyre definately the classic roller rear panniers, but i havent seen any description anywhere saying they have inner pocket. Anyway, a real bonus for me, best of both worlds - especially good as theyre a birthday present !

e-rider

crappy member
Mine are 5 years old and they don't have any internal pockets - shame but I don't think I'll be trading them in just yet! An inner pocket would be useful though.

Tynan

Veteran
10 months and inner pocket plus smaller mesh one, it's very good to hold papers

money well spent they are

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

tundragumski said:
Mine are 5 years old and they don't have any internal pockets - shame but I don't think I'll be trading them in just yet! An inner pocket would be useful though.

you can buy an ortlieb inner pocket that clips into the pannier, they are about £7.50 on wiggle.

I'm not sure what i'm going to do with mine since i got the panniers which unknown to me have an inner pocket. althouh theyre detatcheable so i could use it for valuables

Top Bottom