Ortlieb Packing Cubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Has anyone used them, if so thoughts?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ortlieb-Packing-Cubes-for-Panniers_235634.htm

Yes, I accept that they are expensive for what they are, but I do like that they are shaped to fit the Ortlieb panniers and I also like the fact that it keeps your gear all super organised. At the moment I currently use four 5l Exped compression sacks, which when you roll your clothes up and then squeeze the air our pack down really well. But I keep looking at the Ortlieb cubes and wondering about getting a set or not?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The do look very smart. As you say, Its nothing that you cant achieve with separate "other" bags, but for smartness and efficiency of packing, if your using them reasonably frequently then probably worth it, even if just for smugness as you unload them into your tent at a campsite!!

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
They look ideal. Ive taken a note as I will be needing new panniers for a tour later in the year.

@ianrauk Have a look at these ones, it's the classic Ortlieb Back Roller design/shape, but with a front pocket added now. Really useful for quick access items, waterproof jacket, gloves etc. I used one last week on a two-day mini tour, great addition to a classic pannier.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/ortlieb_backroller_plus_ql2_1_23_litre_single_pannier_bag-ID_89346

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They are nice Alan and you really can't beat Ortlieb.
But those cube pannier really float my boat as they say. I do like you can separate the cubes.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Waste of money really.

Totally agree, but still very nice and maybe quite practical nevertheless.

At the moment I currently use four 5l Exped compression sacks, which when you roll your clothes up and then squeeze the air our pack down really well. But I keep looking at the Ortlieb cubes and wondering about getting a set or not?
Well, what will the cubes offer you that your current solution doesn't?
The first thing I notice is that the numbers don't match - you'll be replacing 4 compression sacks with 3 Ortliebs.

While there's a visual appeal to the Ortliebs will you only have those in your panniers? What happens the nice order with other things in there? A pair of shoes? A book? Have a think about what you pack that will not go in the Ortliebs and where they would go.

When I'm packing, I aim to put the heaviest stuff on the bottom. I also use a number of compression sacks (different colours) and pack them according to use. For example, I have an 'off the bike' sack with what I'll wear when I've set up camp. Grab the bag and off to the shower. The rolltop means that it hangs securely - a useful point.

Also, what goes in each bag can change by season or destination. My 'bike clothes' bag might consist of nothing more than an extra t-shirt and set of underwear or could be holding a merino longsleeve top, long trousers, socks etc. My 'sleep' bag might have nothing more than a t-shirt or can have thermals, a balaclava and gloves.

I generally carry a spare bag for laundry that hasn't been done. Washed clothes not yet dry never go in a pannier.

As is usual for most of these things their utility will vary from person to person.

Top Bottom