Os map. Black line with a dot in the middle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
On the os map near me, there is a path that is defined on the map as a black dash, fine I know this means a path that's not defined as public right of way.

However, in the middle of each dash is a black dot, similar in size to the green dots for cycleways.

What does this mean? I can't find the symbol on any os site, which is a bit weird.

Grid ref: SD 78580 27933

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
What does the legend on the map tell you it is?

It sounds like either a National or Country boundary to me - probably the former

Edit: link http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Boundaries---OS-25K-map-symbols

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Well that's the thing, it's not, according to the legend boundaries are makes black dashes with a small line perpendicular.

I know the path well an the black line and dot matches it perfectly for about 3 miles (the length of the path), the path is well used by mtb'ers.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
National Dot in the middle of a dash
BOUND-nat.jpg

County - dot in between each dash
BOUND-co.jpg

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Yep spotted the bugger when zoomed I on the os legend, it's just coincidental it follows the path. The dashes are longer so it's a hybrid of district and path following each other.

Cheers

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Plus every line has a dash, the district boundary marker is every other dash.

D

Deleted member 23692

The legends vary between the two - so you need to be specific

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
SD 78580 27933 is the grid ref, have look. I reckon it's a hybrid of district boundary and path.

All I can see there is a bridle path on a track that has a wall/fence on one side and is unfenced on the other side. Assuming we are near the 318 height marker, near to Higher Hay - this being taken from the OS website on get a map... for the grid reference you have given above which may or may not be what shows on your make.
Can you double check what you have on your map is what we are seeing online please?

D

Deleted member 23692

It's a district council boundary on my 1:50 map. On a 1:25 it's a district council boundary, running down a track (bounded to the south and open to the north),

Top Bottom