OT: Buying a new Car, tips needed to get a good deal from the showroom...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The time has come to go from 2 cars to 1 MPV.
We have decided on a Citroen C8 Diesel against which we will P/ex our existing cars (we've got OK values for these).

The question is, Citroen offer some big discounts above the cashback offer. How do I best negotiate a good deal?

Really not very good at this haggling business but cannot afford to pay more than necessary (need more bikes!).
Any experts?

bonj2

Play multiple dealers off against each other.
And ask User, he claims to be an expert on such things.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If the car costs eight grand tell him you like it but were not looking to spend more than six. When he says no, ask him what his best price is, if he can do it for seven try and get him to split the difference to six and a half and so on till you know he just won't drop any more. Then say you'll take his price if he'll throw in mats, mudflaps, upgrade the stereo etc or whatever your instinct tells you can be screwed from him.

Abitrary

Don't go alone. Bring your dad with you at least.

If you are a traveller, bring your whole brigade with you, in their caravans...

Roasting conkers in the car park, subtely intimidating the salesmen through the glass

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Abitrary said:
Don't go alone. Bring your dad with you at least.

If you are a traveller, bring your whole brigade with you, in their caravans...

Roasting conkers in the car park, subtely intimidating the salesmen through the glass

Can't, washed his ashes away on the Devon coast...
So it's just me the Mrs and the KIDS...that'll sort 'em, who needs conkers.

Bigtallfatbloke

BE PREPARED TO WALK AWAY.

TALK DIRECTLY AND DONT FUDGE AROUND BEING POLITE.

Decide exactly how much you are prepared to pay and do not go over it.

Do your homework and see what you can get from other dealers and tell the bloke you are dealing with others as well

Tell him you really like the car but cant afford it

Tell him you need him to bring his price down substantially for you to be interested.

Pick up on any downsides on the car/package and tell him you arnt happy with them

Tell him you expect extras like a warranty, a sunroof, whatever but tell him he'll need to include all those things AND discount.

Dont fall for any BS about him not being able to move on the price

When ever he gives a bit, ask for more...dont just accept it and sign up.....If he offers a 10% drop tell him that is standard on a car deal and you are disappointed in him.

When you reach a deal in price, then make sure you go for more still...like a free tank of petrol, free service, free roof rack..etc... keep asking and dont be embarassed.

Once all that is done then start openly talking about his commission on th edeal and how that is affecting your inclination to sign up...get him to cut it.

When you negotiate in his office do it standing up...dont let him take control and sit in the BIG chair....decline coffe etc...give th eimpression you are interested but in a hurry, make him feel the need to keep you there...do not appear over kean, and when he says stuff like...."it's a lovely car dont you think?"...just grunt...or say...Hmmm..or ignore it...dont go..."oh yes it's what I live for can I lick your boots please".

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guys, this is good stuff, thanks.

Thanks Mr Paul, have just done the internet thing and yes it seems I can get some really good discounts. I'll certainly take copies for ammunition. Plus the What-car stuff and other brand brochures like Renault, Seat etc...
Good call on the VED, Mats, tank of gas as well, Joe didn't occur to me.

BTFB...what are your daily rates for car negotiations!

Keep 'em coming!

Bigtallfatbloke

BTFB...what are your daily rates for car negotiations!
:biggrin:

...when I bought our car...erm sorry nearly forgot....the Wife's car...I needed to get acracking deal or we would nt be driving what we wanted. I did a lot of homework, and did all of the above and walked away from the guy twice for several weeks.

This will sound stupid but did you ever watch a daytime TV show with that little bald bloke Dominic? The one where he goes on the high street and tries to negotiate deals for shoppers? I just did what he did:biggrin:

Rykard

Veteran
also check out the best loans deal you can get, when we bought my partners car they couldn't come close to the loan we got.

Hugo15

Über Member
A good trawl of the Internet for the bottom on line price is worthwhile. When I bought my car I said to the sales guy that I had seen the car on the net with a big discount but suspected that he couldn't match it. Gave the guy a challenge straight away.

Would echo earlier comments that you need to be prepared to walk away if the deal is not right for you. New car buying is a question of timing. The dealerships get bonuses from the manufacturers for selling cars. If a dealer has made his volume bonus for the month/quarter he is less likely to discount heavily whereas if he only has a couple of sales to make to get his bonus he will give them away! You just need to hope you walk in on the right day. I got my car last year during the football world cup on a day England played. Dealership was empty.

The other thing to be aware of is that I am not sure these days whether a dealership's main business is selling cars or selling finance. It actually seems to be a handicap to negotiating these days if you are a cash buyer!! You might be able to get a better deal on the car if you take finance through the dealer as they will get an arrangement fee that they can pass to you in terms of discount. Remember to negotiate on the rate though.

Finally don't be shy to ask for discounts and free stuff. Worst they can say is no.

Good Luck!!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Hi MP, Rykard and Hugo

Greatly appreciate the extra info.
The C8 is on 35% deposit (covered by the trade-ins) and 4 years 0% finance, I can't think it gets much better than that! But am still gonna run him hard. MP, you're right, by trawling the 'net there are some excellent deals to be had. I am certain what model and extras I want and have some good prices to wave at them. Just gonna get the Mrs to final test-drive and then down to brass tacks!

Cheers...

Fab,

Check out this web site http://www.carbuyingguide.org.uk/index.php

There is some great advice here which helped with the purchase of our new car. When we decided on what we wanted my wife stayed at home and I bartered with the salesmen. Every so often I would phone her and she would say to me 'ooooh that's just too much....'. She was the bad cop I was the good cop. Got a good deal that way and it is using a salesmans tactic against him ('I'll just go and put this to the manager')

:ohmy:

Oh, forgot to say our new car was a citroen a C4 picasso grand (Yes an MPV :o). Citreon were offering 4 years 0% on it and we managed to get £2500 off the list price. So not a bad deal I think. :biggrin:

Top Bottom