OT: Driving and footwear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Here's an off-topic question - are you required to wear footwear when driving a car in the UK? Family discussion innit. I can see how riding a motorcycle barefoot might not be very sensible, but a car?

Don't know about the legal requirement about being clothed correctly, but in warm weather I drive barefoot on long journeys.
My big toe works very well independently of the right foot on the accelerator. :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
I get/got told by my gran that it is illegal but she isn't an officer of the law and has been known to tell white lies.

It feels horrible though.:biggrin:

It's cropped up a couple of times recently on tv. Police are starting to "speak" to female drivers in flip flops or high heels and any drivers with bare feet. It is increasing considered to be 'unsuitable' and could get as high as 'without sufficient control'. Of course it's not that easy to spot a barefoot driver but I'm sure they'll sort out a camera to do it soon.

Personally, I wouldn't consider driving without a fitted shoe - Dunlop Green Flash minimum. Tried it a few times in sandals but refused to clip on the pony tail.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have driven barefoot, there is not reason why not. I can see that high heels could easily cause a problem, with the driver not being able to control the pedals properly. Trouble is that increasing numbers of drivers fail to understand the concept of taking responsibility for they actions.

Come to think of it there are a few cyclists who also have problems with the concept of taking responsibility for their actions, just look at all those RLJers, pavement riders, etc.

Hairy Jock said:
I have driven barefoot, there is not reason why not. .

Don't get me wrong, I've driven with bare feet (quite recently) - even worse I've ridden a motorbike in shorts, flip flops and topless. Not very far (about 4 miles) but carrying the rubbish sack to the bin collection point on a very hot day not far from Chateau Gontier. Later the same day I got rat arsed and went for a walk and chatted to a field of French cows.

Driving barefoot is nice. I'd have the utmost disrespect for any coppers who pulled me over about it.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
As long as you can work the clutch without any trouble, I can't see any problem.....

Slippy soles can be much more dangerous, new leather shoes can be lethal!!!!!

Keith Oates

Janner
I've not really tried driving with no shoes but I have driven with flip flops and found that they can easily 'catch' on the pedals, I don't do that now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dondare

Über Member
I learned to drive in a mini metro, and the seat would not go back far enough to give my long legs room. So I removed my shoes and got an extra half inch or so, and took all my lessons and the driving test in socks. No one told I shouldn't.

purpleR

Guru
I've read that if you need to do an emergency stop, it can be painful. So much so that your foot may involuntarily ease off the pedal - obviously not good.

Naked driver banned

A west-Cumbrian man has been banned from driving after he was found drunk at the wheel.

As if being pulled over and arrested in front of your mates isn't embarrassing enough however, he was also hauled out of the car naked.

Craig Cook, 20, had essentially drew police attention to himself after stalling his Vauxhall Astra at a junction and bumping into a police car.

It has been reported that officers never received an explanation as to why Mr Cook was driving naked - apart from his shoes and socks - and according to his friends in the back seat they had no idea he was driving without any clothes; a nice try in defending their mate but surely an attempt that leaves them looking more stupid than the driver?

Mr Cook was fined £100 and banned from driving for 15 months.
Link

Didn't mention shoes though......

Top Bottom