OT - house cracks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK folks, does anyone have experience of fitting central heating in an old (late Victorian) house? We've recently done just that and have started to notice cracks appearing in the plaster. Is this just the house drying out, thanks to the new heating system, or is our house about to fall down?

A few small cracks are to be expected, Chuffy

catwoman

If they are hairline cracks they are nothing to worry about. If you haven't had central heating previously some drying out of plaster is to be expected. Just fill them.
If the cracks are centred around windows, doors and other structural members and they get wider as they go up the house it would indicate structural movement which is a different kettle of fish completely.
Hope it's the former for you. :biggrin:

Abitrary

I would suggest to you that the new central heating system had leaked and destroyed the house at a molecular level.

I would suggest discarding this house and buying a new one.

bonj2

Fill them in with grout or polyfilla, or better still plaster, and then sand over it and apply another coat of paint.

bonj2

oh, chuffy - the tell tale sign as to whether they're bad cracks: have a look and see whether they are wider at the bottom than the top, or wider at the top than the bottom.

Danny

Legendary Member
And which way round is the bad crack:?:

Abitrary

Dave5N said:
Well done. Add homophobia to your grammatical ineptitude.

Add that to your crimes. Not mine.

I used to think that chuffy was a girl that lived in John Street, in Cyprus.

In my less sober moments I imagined rescuing her from her cypriot oppressors, on holiday.

?:rolleyes: Hmmm. This thread is not all it's cracked up to be - all Greek to me;)
Rapid drying of plaster (radiators blasting out heat for example) can cause cracking - or 'crazing' of plaster surfaces. Sensible to line the walls with 800 grade paper if you want a 'perfact' painted finish...
Obviously, similar matching cracks to the exterior of the same wall warrant investigation - but I reckon it is lovely and warm in your hut!:rolleyes:

Abitrary

Aperitif said:
?:rolleyes: Hmmm. This thread is not all it's cracked up to be - all Greek to me;)
Rapid drying of plaster (radiators blasting out heat for example) can cause cracking - or 'crazing' of plaster surfaces. Sensible to line the walls with 800 grade paper if you want a 'perfact' painted finish...
Obviously, similar matching cracks to the exterior of the same wall warrant investigation - but I reckon it is lovely and warm in your hut!:rolleyes:

tit

Top Bottom