[OT - IT] hard drive in death throws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
get a replacement hd, install linux and get an enclosure case for your old hd. if you struggle finding drivers, if you have a friend with a mac, they should be able to plug it in and see the files without the driver, although the mac may not know what the files are (you'll probably see loads of other, normally invisible files too). you could then copy the whole drive (or parts thereof) over a network or some dvds.

Carwash

Señor Member
alecstilleyedye said:
if you have a friend with a mac, they should be able to plug it in and see the files without the driver

Highly unlikely. OS X does not have native support for the ext3 filesystem. However, there is a sourceforge project which allows it to mount ext2 (and hence ext3) volumes; I think there may also be FUSE extension to abstract an ext3 filesystem interface so you could mount it through e.g. MacFUSE.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I'm anticipating that the "piece of carp" will recognise the external USB drive as exactly that, no drivers required.

peanut said:
Its not compatable with anything.

I know. I'm such a rebel.

domtyler

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
get a replacement hd, install linux and get an enclosure case for your old hd. if you struggle finding drivers, if you have a friend with a mac, they should be able to plug it in and see the files without the driver, although the mac may not know what the files are (you'll probably see loads of other, normally invisible files too). you could then copy the whole drive (or parts thereof) over a network or some dvds.

Don't be daft! A Mac would not be suitable for performing a real world computing task like this. Mac's are suitable for performing many other tasks though, such as looking 'funky', tying the owner into expensive proprietary contracts for playing otherwise free music, keeping monitors at the required hight and preventing doors from blowing closed. :bravo:;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
domtyler said:
Don't be daft! A Mac would not be suitable for performing a real world computing task like this. Mac's are suitable for performing many other tasks though, such as looking 'funky', tying the owner into expensive proprietary contracts for playing otherwise free music, keeping monitors at the required hight and preventing doors from blowing closed. :wacko::rolleyes:

;):troll::ohmy::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
yello said:
The hard drive in my laptop is just about poked. I can't boot from in but I can boot from an install cd (Ubuntu) and see it, browse some folders etc.... but my /home directory is rogered. (I don't have the available partition space to run a dd_rescue, btw)

My thinking is to get another drive, reload Ubuntu and rebuild my home directory from recent back ups.

But does anyone know if I can plug the knackered drive in as a secondary external drive (maybe via USB???) and access it? My backups are a few weeks old and there's a couple of files I'd like to try and recover.

Why don't you try installing Ubuntu on a USB stick ( 2GB is more than sufficient) and from there you can see your HD drive.

Here is a link that shows you how to install Ubuntu in a USB stick

OP
OP
Y

yello

Thanks RRSODL for the link. I'm achieving the same sort of thing booting from the live CD but I was going to build a bootable USB stick too, so the link is useful.

I'm currently running SpinRite on it. It's early days, only been running around an hour, but I'm not optimistic. The disk is clunking away so I think it's done for.

peanut

domtyler said:
Don't be daft! A Mac would not be suitable for performing a real world computing task like this. Mac's are suitable for performing many other tasks though, such as looking 'funky', tying the owner into expensive proprietary contracts for playing otherwise free music, keeping monitors at the required hight and preventing doors from blowing closed. :tongue::thumbsdown:

don't pussyfoot around Dom ...tell it how it really is :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:;)

Danny

Legendary Member
bonj said:
just bin off linux and get a proper operating system. It's written by tree hugging hippies in their spare time which is largely the reason why it's shite.
I have to say I agree with Bonj on this. I can't understand why people spend time messing about with Unix variants when you can get a good laptop with Windows Vista for under £400.

I'm no great fan of Microsoft, but the reality is that they won the desktop operating system war years ago - even if Apple maintain a niche foothold.

peanut

the problem with Apple is and always has been incompatability with other hardware and software . From what I read half of Vista uses are ditching it in favour of good old XP
If Windows Vista has incompatibility issues what chance have you with Mac x unix Linux and other oddball OS's ?

If you like the look of a Mac then install Windows on it with OSx and have a dual boot option. That way at least you can use the thing occasionally.;)

Carwash

Señor Member
peanut said:
the problem with Apple is and always has been incompatability with other hardware and software . From what I read half of Vista uses are ditching it in favour of good old XP
If Windows Vista has incompatibility issues what chance have you with Mac x unix Linux and other oddball OS's ?

You keep using this word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Carwash said:
Highly unlikely. OS X does not have native support for the ext3 filesystem. However, there is a sourceforge project which allows it to mount ext2 (and hence ext3) volumes; I think there may also be FUSE extension to abstract an ext3 filesystem interface so you could mount it through e.g. MacFUSE.

i stand corrected. i've managed to install ubuntu linux via parallels now so i'll have a fiddle with it and see how i get on. conceptually, i think linux is a great idea.

Danny

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
i stand corrected. i've managed to install ubuntu linux via parallels now so i'll have a fiddle with it and see how i get on. conceptually, i think linux is a great idea.
Linux is great for people who like fiddling with things. However most of the world just want an OS that they can use straight out of the box and not have to think about.

Carwash

Señor Member
Dannyg said:
Linux is great for people who like fiddling with things. However most of the world just want an OS that they can use straight out of the box and not have to think about.

Which is why it's so surprising that most people still use Windows! ;)

domtyler

Über Member
I think there is an urgent need for alternatives to the Microsoft monopoly. Their software is bloated, cumbersome and largely built on proprietary technologies rather than open standards.

Macs are as above but far worse.

Linux is showing real promise and has come a long way, but has so far failed to deliver the promise.

Top Bottom