OT: transferring phone nos. and text messages to a new phone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyL

Anyone know the best way to do this? I have a new Motorola Razr2 V8 and want to transfer stuff from my old V8. I am keeping the SIM, but the phone numbers are stored on the phone, not the SIM. I have had a play about with the software on my laptop, but it can't seem to find the phonebook.

Stwutter

Put the SIM in your old phone. Go to contacts/phonebook. Copy all your contacts from phone to SIM card (there should be a copy all option). Take SIM out, put in new phone. Ta-da.

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm not familiar with Motorola phones, but with Nokias you can set the phone book to store numbers on the sim or phone, or both, when you first store them. There's also an option in the phone book to copy all the numbers from sim to phone or vice versa.

It might be worth looking through your old phone's phone book to see if these options are available.

Stwutter

DaveyL said:
Thanks. How dumb do I feel now....

Funny thing is, people ten years ago had more idea how to do this than now, 'cos every mobile phone nowadays seems to come with a tonne of useless software that confuses everyone! Most of it's crap and just eat's memory up.

OP
OP
D

DaveyL

OK, but transferring SMS messages seems a bit trickier. On Motorola phones, they are not stored on the SIM and there doesn't seem to be an option to transfer them there. There is a bit of software called BitPim but it only seems set up for US phones on US networks.

Any suggestions?

Stwutter

Doubt you'll be able to copy SMS to SIM - it may be possible, but I've not come across it.

Easiest way is forward the messages you want to keep to a friends phone, then they can forward them back to your new phone once you're ready. Might cost you a few pennies, but it's a one-off.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
you can 'move' messages to Sim.
click on message
then click on the menu
copy to sim

byegad

Legendary Member
Stwutter is wrong in one of his posts. People are better with their phones than they used to be.
10 years ago, I was working for a well known mobile company, lets call them Tangerine!
The callers we got included people who couldn't turn there new phone on, people who didn't know how to charge their phone and acted surprised when told it would need it! One famous call type was the numpty who had managed to switch the phone into Turkish or Greek and now couldn't get it back. ( The handbook told you how to do this but better call for help?)
Another popular one was to dial only the local number because they were in the town they wanted to call!
I retired 2 years ago and by then we had far fewer calls of this nature, however, never underestimate the power some people have to confuse themselves.
The original poster has asked a valid question, how we used to like a sensible question among the rest!

Top Bottom