( OUCH) A brutal ride today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
This morning I woke up and the sun was shining and the birds were singing. All the housework was done yesterday so I thought it was high time I tackled a bike ride to Lake Vyrnwy that I've been putting off due to its steep climbs and the longish miles of 60..Beautiful stunning scenery all the way ,but god it was hard going. The last 10 miles were the hardest with long steep climbs followed by sharp descents only to be met with another huge climb. Once at the lake ,I thought it would be a shame not to cycle 12 odd miles around especially after all the effort getting there. It was a nice and flat ride around the lake and was adorned by many other cyclists enjoying the spectacular views. The only thing spoiling it were the lazy car drivers interrupting the peace and tranquility of the route around. When I got back to the dam I was starting to feel like a spot of lunch before I tackled the long ride home. There was only one cafe there, that I could see and it was full of cyclists. A mug of hot chocolate and a tuna cheese melt pannini fleeced me of nearly £9 !!!. As I'm a tight arse with money I was not to impressed with that , but needs must and the next shop was 16 mile away.
The home ride was pretty much uneventful apart from the evil hills sapping my strength out of my tired legs. The last five miles home where a real slog, and now once home I've now collapsed on the sofa. Would I do it again. Absolutely yes, because cycling is hard and exhausting sometimes ,and often not very glamorous as the adverts would have you believe , but its also freedom , a sense of achievement and most of all puts some amazing memories into your mind of all the exciting rides you have done.
All the best and stay safe out there
Johnny :-)

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
:bravo:. Well done sound like a ride you will remember . It should be easier because time:okay:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I rode Lake Vrwnwy a few days ago. Were did you pedal from?
BTW, there's two cafes near the dam wall. The one to the right at the end of the track looked better to me.
:smile:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Ahh I didn't notice the other cafe Pete. I came via Llansantffraid , Lanfechain , Llanfyllin. It was after Llanfyllin the roads started getting a little hard going for me buddy.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Sounds awesome that, bet the scenery is incredible ..
I love where I ride but it does lack a bit of a view at times ..

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
@Fonze I,ve driven countless times through this area, and in the car the stunning beauty of the place is completely overlooked. Your to busy concentrating on the road ahead, and enclosed by hedges and walls to see anything worthwhile. It also just goes by to quickly to appreciated it :-)

swansonj

Guru
Excuses to reminisce!

Llyn Vrwnwy 1997, with 6 month old daughter in tow (now starting final year at university). Thank you for the reminder and the excuse to dig out the photos!
nwales0013.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Ahh I didn't notice the other cafe Pete. I came via Llansantffraid , Lanfechain , Llanfyllin. It was after Llanfyllin the roads started getting a little hard going for me buddy.
I started near the lake, over Bwlch y Groes to Bala and back via Hirnant.. 4,500 feet of up in 65 miles!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I rode Lake Vrwnwy a few days ago. Were did you pedal from?
BTW, there's two cafes near the dam wall. The one to the right at the end of the track looked better to me.
:smile:
That was something I forgot to mention when you asked about the area. Having tried them both I prefer the Old Barn Cafe which you've mentioned. Artisans (by the dam) is okay but I find their hot chocolate too sickly sweet and it is almost always crammed as it's the first place people see.

The downside is that The Old Barn is often closed in the colder months so you may not have the choice for an autumn or winter ride

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Today, my ride was only 11 miles but it contained two long and rather steep inclines. This is a ride I had never done before but always intended to do. I felt very confident when I started it but about 50 metres from the top of the first incline I had to dismount as my legs finally gave up. The same happened again in the next incline. I was very disappointed of course but when you run out of steam, what can you do? I think I will skip this course from now on and do my usual rides.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Nice one @gavroche.
Those are the kinds of rides you can always tackle again and feel proud once you've conquered them. I remember tackling the HorseShoe Pass near Llangollen..It took five attempts before I could get to the top without stopping. It was a great feeling when I managed to do, even if I did look a complete wally staggering into the cafe on the summit :-)

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Nice one @gavroche.
Those are the kinds of rides you can always tackle again and feel proud once you've conquered them. I remember tackling the HorseShoe Pass near Llangollen..It took five attempts before I could get to the top without stopping. It was a great feeling when I managed to do, even if I did look a complete wally staggering into the cafe on the summit :-)[/QUOTE
I can understand how you felt when you walked in the cafe. It is a meeting place for motor bikers!:becool:
You must have felt out of place.:whistle:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
It was more of the fact of staggering in looking like I was ready to die with exhaustion lol, with barely enough breath in me to ask for a slice of cake and a coffee :-)

Top Bottom