Ouch - Collision with a Pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
This is something I narrowly miss several times a year - why don't people check for traffic anymore?

Glad you're both more or less ok.

Cab

[rant]The last time I hit a pedestrian it was 'all my fault'.

Two peds, facing away from me, bombed straight off the left hand kerb, at the same time as three walked on to the road from the right. Narrow, single lane, one way street. It wasn't a matter of whether I was going to hit a pedestrian, it was all about which one and how hard.

I got lucky, so did she, could have been a lot worse, but I could have done without one of the peds berating me for going too fast (I wasn't going quickly at all, hence no one was hurt and only one ped was shaken up).

I dunno, it isn't too much to ask that people look before stepping on to the road? And that if there is traffic coming they perhaps don't step right out in front of it?

I nearly hit another one about a fortnight ago. Cycling along, ped steps out, I ring my bell. He does the 'hop forward hop back' routine for a few moments as I brake sharply, and then complains that I'm going too fast. I informed him that in my opinion he'd be better off in a nursing home than spreading his madness out on the streets.

[/rant]

yenrod

They listen for the noise I do it myself - but thankfully aint been whacked by a cyclist..though I usually look as Im too smart to know what damage a cyclist can do !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Keith Oates said:
You're right about the size thing, on the way to work one day in Vietnam a man on a small motorbike hit a small dog that ran out of the bushes in front of him. The motor cyclists went over the handle bars and the motorbike carried on part way across a rice field. The dog yelped a bit but then ran somewhere, home I guess, but the rider had some deep cuts and bruises!!

Reminds me about the Tour De France this year when a dog nonchantly wandered in front of a rider. Totalled the bikes front wheel. Dog walked off as if nothing had happened

Arch

Married to Night Train
PrettyboyTim said:
The only shout I managed was "shoot!" - she had just enough time to turn her head with a shocked look before I hit her. If I'd had time to shout a proper warning I wouldn't have hit her.

Someone told me yesterday that the most common 'last audible phrase' on cockpit voice recorders recovered from planes crashes is "Oh shoot!" in whatever language applies...

Whenever I have a close call, I can usually only manage a sort of "whoooa!", not even a real word!

Anyway, hope you heal up ok, and she learns to look.... Love the fact she works in insurance!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I often have people nearly walk out on me. They are too busy looking ahead for the traffic, or thinking about something else and when they notice there is no sound they think its good to go. Often had a person walk out on me, luckily i manage to sort of see them and slow down, or be able to move out more.
But then if you give them a warning they panic and just freeze.

Glad your not too badly injured. Maybe she did see you and wanted to pass on her number to you :biggrin:

Ouch :biggrin: Lucky for the lemming you were a bike not something bigger :biggrin:
When I lived in Dublin I made a mistake of using the cycle lanes on Ranelagh Road, traffic was nose to bumper for miles. Unfortunately as I passed a van (one of the small but tall square types) a ped decided to run between the jammed van/cars. Even though I was going slow, braked quite hard and pulled an endo I still clipped him slightly. I think we spent the next minute apologising and asking if each other was ok.

dudi

Sounds like a frightening experience! glad neither of you were seriously hurt though.

If there is a pe who has wanered out in to the street and you have time enough to shout a warning... what should you shout?

"BIKE!"
"STOP!"
"MOVE!"
or something else?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
dudi said:
Sounds like a frightening experience! glad neither of you were seriously hurt though.

If there is a pe who has wanered out in to the street and you have time enough to shout a warning... what should you shout?

"BIKE!"
"STOP!"
"MOVE!"
or something else?

Could be anything from "Oi!!" to "tw@!!" - depends where my head is at that time.

("10 points!!" ?? ;) :smile: )

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've done "MOVE" to a bunch af chav's crossing the main road (long downhill) I was approaching at 30 MPH and they started crossing.... two stopped one threattened to punch me..... I only just missed him by headding for the white line.... 12 plus stone at 30 mph will hurt (I was 14 stone then though)...

OP
OP
PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim

dudi said:

"BIKE!"
"STOP!"
"MOVE!"
or something else?

On the few occasions when I've had to shout a warning I've shouted "LOOK OUT!". If I am able to slow down sufficiently I'll slow down and say "Excuse me please" once I get near.

Top Bottom