Ouch - Head on with another cyclist - Black eye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I believe the highway code teaches you to stop there but it's not actually illegal if you don't.

Please tell us you don't have a driving licence.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997/2400/regulation/25/made

'Nearly taking someone out' is not giving them precedence.

Gunk

Guru
Most of these tw*ts in Oxford have never read a copy of the Highway Code, they’ve also never bought a can of oil, almost all the bikes I see have rusty chains and look like they’ve been dragged from the bottom of a lake.

Milzy

Guru
Legally speaking, you do not have to stop your car unless a pedestrian has placed a foot onto the crossing, however if there are pedestrians waiting, stop your vehicle just before the broken white line to give way.
I'm not disputing the guy who hit you wasn't in the wrong though. Blithering ejot to pull such a move.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have had a few near misses with cyclists riding towards me on "my" side of the path. There's a lady with a posh looking bike who does it all the time, with a few of us at work having had altercations with her because of this, still she keeps riding on her right, we haven't managed to work out why.
Don't worry, Maghan's overseas now. :whistle:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I have a bell fitted as it is a legal requirement but i rarely use it. Down the canal i find quite a few older people actually don't hear it. Ive learned quickly that a friendly shout and a thank you is sufficient. I think these generic bells are not heard or not heard very loudly by some seniors...

Globalti

Legendary Member
True, older folk often don't hear bells so I've given up using them and just call out a cheery "bike behind" when approaching anybody from behind.

And on the rare occasions when I'm cycling in traffic, I watch emerging cars for wheel movement and am ready to give them a very loud shout of warning, which works pretty well.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I have a bell fitted as it is a legal requirement but i rarely use it. Down the canal i find quite a few older people actually don't hear it. Ive learned quickly that a friendly shout and a thank you is sufficient. I think these generic bells are not heard or not heard very loudly by some seniors...

Not a legal requirement for a bell to be fitted beyond the point of sale in the UK.

Source Google.

đź’¤

Levo-Lon

Guru
I often shout," We ride on the left here".
We have many cycle-foot paths ,footpath is raised and usually narrower.
But despite road markings and cycles being painted on the cycle part it is usually littered with women and kids going to the schools.. oblivious to everyone.

Bell on bike helps but it's no match for headphones and a mobile:laugh:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I try to cycle the same way that I drive - assuming that everyone else on the road is an idiot and, while today probably won't be the day they do something stupid or dangerous, it just might be.

Top Bottom