Ouch - Rib Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Maximum pain is about 6 days in... Painful for 6 weeks...

That matches my experience. Don't expect to get much (any) sleep for the first week or so. :sad:

I think it depends on your age. My last injured ribs took 2-3 months to heal, and i was still getting some twinges 6 months later. Co-codamol for a few days dealt with the initial hit. GP was quite relaxed. Difficulty breathing or coughing up blood come and see me, otherwise just takes time.
I will second that as I came a cropper on the bike on ice and landed partly on my ribs, that I had hit from a fall some few months earlier. I did`nt go to the doc as I knew there was nothing he could do. It hurt like hell, getting out of bed, getting in bed, getting dressed etc etc. It did`nt stop me riding the bike but it did affect my breathing as I could`nt take deep breathes without a lot of pain. It will get better but give it plenty of time.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I will second that as I came a cropper on the bike on ice and landed partly on my ribs, that I had hit from a fall some few months earlier. I did`nt go to the doc as I knew there was nothing he could do. It hurt like hell, getting out of bed, getting in bed, getting dressed etc etc. It did`nt stop me riding the bike but it did affect my breathing as I could`nt take deep breathes without a lot of pain. It will get better but give it plenty of time.
I bet that made you laugh?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
laughing hurts

It will.

My main advice is possibly take co-codamol/codeine if you have a cough - it suppresses coughing ! Nowt you can do. Any difficulties breathing, then A&E.

Broke mine 3 times in last 10 years ! 4 ribs at once last time (and my spine). Now that was painful.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If its just bruised or fractures ribs then they will heal in time. 6 wks ish.

If it's a punctured lung then you won't feel anything in a lot less than 6 wks.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Paracetamol is your friend, an under-rated drug because few people use it properly. Take 1 gm every five to six hours and keep a note of the times so that you don't let the level drop.

Dangerous stuff this karting. Few years back at a corporate event this bloke gets separated from his kart at speed and ends up out of it. They take him and sit him in the on-site cafe.

When he comes to his senses the cafe woman asks him if he wants a cup of tea, yes please he says, she brought the tea over and said "60p please"

Top Bottom