Ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
My evening ride didn't quite go according to plan.

Cycling through a crossroads, the white Berlingo which had stopped drove off and I could see what was about to happen but could not get out of the way and he hit my back wheel and down I went.

The speed wasn't particularly high (about 10 or 12mph I'd say) , the van didn't actually hit my person and I really just fell over on my side. I twisted my ankle as my foot was caught in the toe strap. Apart from a sprained ankle I have no other injuries.

The driver did stop, claimed he didn't see me (I have dynohub lighting with 80 lux German approved headlamp, German approved tail lamp all backed up by battery lights and I was wearing high vis). He did report it himself.

When the law turned up, they asked the driver if he was hurt and breathalysed me, checked the brakes on my bike, then breathalysed the driver, told him to show his licence and insurance and said to me it was an easy mistake to make as bikes are hard to see and drove me home.

Bike will need a new back wheel and hopefully the frame isn't bent.

midlife

Guru
Hope you recover soon. I guess you have the driver details so he can pay for repairs.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Glad you're ok! A nasty experience to have. Make sure you chase the driver up for the cost of repairs.
Are you with BC or CyclingUK?

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
T
Oh, its an understandable mistake, bikes are so hard to see. Id have gone thermonuclear if an officer of the municipal prefect said that to me.
That was my first thought too but what is the point of having arguments at the roadside?That is the prevailing belief across the majority of society sadly and it won't change just because I throw a tantrum.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
Glad you're ok! A nasty experience to have. Make sure you chase the driver up for the cost of repairs.
Are you with BC or CyclingUK?
No I'm in Ireland.

classic33

Leg End Member
This one did.
They can arrest you, if they suspect you of cycling under the influence. But it's the first time I've heard of a cyclist being breathalyzed by them.

"If a Garda suspects you are cycling under the influence of alcohol or drugs to the point that you do not have proper control of the bike, you can be arrested without a warrant."

vickster

Legendary Member
https://officialclaimsassist.co.uk/

I got knocked off five and a half years ago ( hit at a combined speed of around 30mph. I went over the roof of the car etc). Make a claim asap! Not necessarily the above. Local solicitors will take your custom. I received £6000 for my injuries and written off bike, though i ended up with 4.5 grand after fees.
He’s not in the UK (although there are probably local “ambulance chasing“ firms too)

Top Bottom