Ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Blimey, you were lucky not to be seriously injured by a car travelling 26mph!
Thinking about that, i wonder if it's the same affect if the cyclist is doing 4 mph with the car going at 26 mph, as the cyclist doing 26 mph with the car travelling at 4 mph?🤔 When i was knocked off i was the vehicle doing approximately 26 mph, with the car doing approximately 4 mph while turning right across my path.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
No I'm in Ireland.
Yes, you are.. Don't they do business over there or is there an equivalent organisation that could help?

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
You do much racing?

They take your money not give little in return. Not even legal advice is listed as a benefit.
I don't. It's why I never joined them.

Most bike insurance companies don't seem to cover bikes over a few years old. I was riding an '89 Raleigh Pioneer built as a fix wheel for winter riding.

The guy took the bike and insists he is taking it to a local bike shop to fix. I wanted to take it with me but he insisted. I know a bike shop will just say it is scrap.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't. It's why I never joined them.

Most bike insurance companies don't seem to cover bikes over a few years old. I was riding an '89 Raleigh Pioneer built as a fix wheel for winter riding.

The guy took the bike and insists he is taking it to a local bike shop to fix. I wanted to take it with me but he insisted. I know a bike shop will just say it is scrap.
You have his address?
I'd not have let him take my bike, even if he said he was taking it to a bike shop.

classic33

Leg End Member
I realise you're on the opposite coast, but this from Dublin Cycling
"A driver is required by law to stop and then remain at the scene of an RTC for a reasonable period of time [1961 Act, Art. 106]

(4) In this section “appropriate information” means the name and address of the person required by this section to give such information, the name and address of the owner of the vehicle of which such person is the driver or is in charge, the identification mark of such vehicle under the Roads Act, 1920, or any other enactment and particulars of the insurance or guarantee of the vehicle pursuant to this Act.

(5) The persons entitled under this section to demand the appropriate information are—

(a) in the case of injury to a person, that person or, where that person is killed or incapacitated, any one other person for the time being having charge of the person so injured by reason of family relationship, the relationship of master and servant or otherwise,"

https://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/how-deal-traffic-collision

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I have his phone number.

I regret letting him take the bike but I just wanted to go home at the time.

In theory a Raleigh Pioneer is virtually worthless but mine had decent wheels with Shimano dynohub, B&M lights, a Brooks saddle, new bottom bracket and new tyres. Sadly an insurance company will never see things like that and just offer some sort of nominal fee for an old bike.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd be phoning first thing to find out which shop he's taken it to.

Agree on the old bike bit and insurance companies though.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
Agree on the old bike bit and insurance companies though.

That's always the problem with spending money on something old and of little value.

Years ago, a neighbour had a Ford 7000 tractor. Collectors pay a lot of money for them now but at the time it was just another old tractor.

He had rebuilt the engine, replaced the clutch and brakes and fitted new tyres which all obviously cost a lot of money. Then a car came around a corner on the wrong side of the road and smashed the front cradle, split the tractor at the bellhousing and bent the front axle.

The insurance company offered a pittance for it but he eventually argued in court that it would cost him considerably more to replace it with what was basically a fully refurbished tractor.

It was worth it to fight it for a tractor but not a bike.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's always the problem with spending money on something old and of little value.

Years ago, a neighbour had a Ford 7000 tractor. Collectors pay a lot of money for them now but at the time it was just another old tractor.

He had rebuilt the engine, replaced the clutch and brakes and fitted new tyres which all obviously cost a lot of money. Then a car came around a corner on the wrong side of the road and smashed the front cradle, split the tractor at the bellhousing and bent the front axle.

The insurance company offered a pittance for it but he eventually argued in court that it would cost him considerably more to replace it with what was basically a fully refurbished tractor.

It was worth it to fight it for a tractor but not a bike.
Detail the work you put into that bike in a similar way. Include all the bits and pieces you've put on it, that were never standard. Look around for similar bikes and see what they went for/are going for.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thinking about that, i wonder if it's the same affect if the cyclist is doing 4 mph with the car going at 26 mph, as the cyclist doing 26 mph with the car travelling at 4 mph?🤔 When i was knocked off i was the vehicle doing approximately 26 mph, with the car doing approximately 4 mph while turning right across my path.
Theoretically, yes, its all about relative velocity, and that holds true in physics. It only starts to go wrong at relatavistic speeds.

Top Bottom