Ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
Ended up having to go to hospital and ankle is fractured and I need to have a plate put in :sad:

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm sitting at home now with my leg resting on several pillows after being fast tracked through surgery early this morning but it's likely to be only a temporary fix and I'll probably need further surgery. I'll be going back for an x-ray and possibly kept in for more surgery next Tuesday.

It's complicated by the bone being splintered at the break. I had assumed I must have had my foot stuck in the toe strap and gave it a bad twist when I went down but the surgeon says it's probable that the front wheel of the van went over my foot as the injury is consistent with something like that and I don't have a single other injury at all. It was obvious that it had definitely gone over the back wheel of the bike.

The bike is at a local bike shop like he said he'd do and is awaiting a replacement wheel and mudguard. The frame is still true apparently. I phoned to check up on it.

I'd say he thought if he got the bike fixed for me I would go away but I think his insurance company will be receiving a claim.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm sitting at home now with my leg resting on several pillows after being fast tracked through surgery early this morning but it's likely to be only a temporary fix and I'll probably need further surgery. I'll be going back for an x-ray and possibly kept in for more surgery next Tuesday.

It's complicated by the bone being splintered at the break. I had assumed I must have had my foot stuck in the toe strap and gave it a bad twist when I went down but the surgeon says it's probable that the front wheel of the van went over my foot as the injury is consistent with something like that and I don't have a single other injury at all. It was obvious that it had definitely gone over the back wheel of the bike.

The bike is at a local bike shop like he said he'd do and is awaiting a replacement wheel and mudguard. The frame is still true apparently. I phoned to check up on it.

I'd say he thought if he got the bike fixed for me I would go away but I think his insurance company will be receiving a claim.
Sorry to hear that you may require further surgery, that you required any in the first place.

Hope the Guards are taking this incident seriously, and you've updated them. It's shifted the action they've to take.

The bike shop knows that the bike is yours, and won't release it to anyone but you or the Guards.

Rest, get better, and don't be beaten into submission on what you're doing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Oh man, this is awful news. Certainly notify the law, and certainly see about an insurance claim.
How are work taking it?
In the meantime, ‘take it easy’ seems the only pertinent advice!

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
Oh man, this is awful news. Certainly notify the law, and certainly see about an insurance claim.
How are work taking it?
In the meantime, ‘take it easy’ seems the only pertinent advice!
The law didn't seem very interested when they attended the scene.

I phoned my supervisor on Wednesday and he was fine and had been calling me and checking how I was but unfortunately today is his last day before he moves to a new role. I will have to call and speak to his replacement whom I have never met or spoken to before so I will see how that works out.

I had a call from the hospital a little earlier and they now want to admit me on Sunday for further surgery on Monday.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ended up having to go to hospital and ankle is fractured and I need to have a plate put in :sad:
But at least the police established the Berlingo driver was ok. What a relief that must be for you :angry:

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
But at least the police established the Berlingo driver was ok. What a relief that must be for you :angry:
It is reassuring to know that all the safety features of Berlingo did their job and protected him from the nasty cyclist that got in their way.

I can highly recommend a Citroën as a really safe vehicle to buy.

classic33

Leg End Member
How's the foot, and the rest of you, feeling now?

Might be worth phoning the bike shop and telling them not to do any work on the bike, as the guards may be along to check it.

Top Bottom