Our nappy company has gone bust!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Phoebus

magnatom said:
There is a very big assumption there. Your assuming that the poo is of a nice firm consistency that sits just where it's supposed to and doesn't squidge out of the sides up the childs back, out onto his/her legs, on to their clothes, onto your clothes, onto the mother-in laws clothes.......

I think you'll get the picture! ;)

That all sounds a bit like Spud's bed sheet moment in Trainspotting.

Otto

magnatom said:
Aye we could, but we already use the washing machine a lot (2 kids, cycling kit, judo kit, gym kit for the wife etc), we don't have a tumble drier and we don't have the time!!

Wash them in a dolly tub in the garden give yourself an upper body workout into the bargain:;)

beter still stick a cork up the kids arse and empty him once a day...quick squeeze an bingo...just like a toothpaste tube

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Little Miss, when she was 8 weeks old, was taken on holiday to Slovenia. She then went 11 days without pooing. Panic-stricken calls to doctors back home met with reassurance that this could be quite normal, and that as long as she was otherwise healthy we could leave it.

One afternoon, on day thirteen, we were sitting at an outdoor restaurant on the shore of the alpine lake that Little Miss was named after, having lunch. There was a sudden, loud sound - reminiscent of a large bag of very wet custard being rolled down a roof and falling off onto the ground. This was followed shortly afterwards by an eyewateringly ferocious stench.

As you can imagine, there was so much cr*p that it was running out of the neck, armholes and legholes of her babygro. She was basically lying in a poo-filled suit. I took her off to change her, which proved rather difficult in a toilet with no baby-changing facilities and a floor swimming in urine. It would have been quicker to just throw her in the lake and rinse her off, and I think I used about two packets of baby wipes and countless nappy-sacs to put the dirty ones in, as well as having to bag up her browned-out babygro.

We quickly paid and left as she was reduced to lying in her buggy in a nappy, and we were afraid that Vesuvius might erupt again and the buggy might have to be binned...

So Dom - how's lunch ? ;):biggrin::biggrin:

papercorn2000

I just kept mine out in the back garden until she was toilet trained. Garden grows really well now!

ChrisKH

Guru
Mr Phoebus said:
That all sounds a bit like Spud's bed sheet moment in Trainspotting.

Been there done that. Not the heroin addiction, but post operative with three drains (one in my stomach), a drip, a catheter and an epidural. I was really struggling to get around and use the facilities and wasn't sleeping well. Asked a doctor for a sedative which he gave me. Slept like a baby but awoke and thought I was in the middle of the battle of the Somme. ;) The Sister who had to clean up after me was a real babe as well. ;):blush: She got her own back - had to have the stomach drain reinserted down my throat after pulling it out in the middle of the night. :wacko:

U

User482

domtyler said:
I know this may be seen as a throwaway comment, but disposables are better for the environment.

Oh no they're not!

Maz

Guru
papercorn2000 said:
I just kept mine out in the back garden until she was toilet trained. Garden grows really well now!
We had a slightly bonkers History teacher at school who used to scoop her crap out of the toilet and put it on the garden as fertilizer. ;)

Chris James

Über Member
Maz said:
shoot happens.

Seriously, it is a shame about the company. I thought the idea of real nappies was that most of the poo was caught by an inner liner,which you could remove and flush away, leaving a relatively poo-free nappy to be cleaned in the washing machine.

That works for kids on solids. But milky poos will never be caught by a liner.

Both my lads have been in washable nappies. There was some research about whether it was more environmentally friendly than just using Pampers, The conclusion was ambivalent with disposables making more landfill and washables more detergent run off and pesticides due to growing cotton.

However, the devil is in the detail. The reaearch was for pre folded nappies, washed at 90 degrees, a wash of 6 nappies (IIRC) and mostly tumble dried. They also supposed you changed 'real' nappies much more often than you would disposables.

We use terries as they dry much better and one size fits small babies right through to toddlers. We wash a load at a go, wash at 60 and have used the same nappies of both boys. We rarely tumble dry as terries dry easily on the line or over an airer, unlike the prefolds.

I reckon that has got to be the most environmentally friendly method. Regardless, it is definitely the cheapest. We have saved hundreds of pounds.

Top Bottom