Out of balance Hunt carbon wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
One things for sure, if they are not right when I get them back then they are being returned for a refund. No way will I return them for second time to have a new rim fitted to the rear wheel.

Very disappointing so far for a wheel set that costs so much and the fact that they knew there was a potential spoke tension issue is even more disappointing to be honest.

One things for sure, if they are not right when I get them back then they are being returned for a refund. No way will I return them for second time to have a new rim fitted to the rear wheel.

Very disappointing so far for a wheel set that costs so much and the fact that they knew there was a potential spoke tension issue is even more disappointing to be honest.
Thanks for sharing plus the video. I am lost for words for that price. Looks like the QC sticker is more for marketing.

monkers

Veteran
I've now heard of a number of people having problems with Hunt wheels and returning them.

Valve weight can cause problems with static balance causing a motion that is up and down. Your vibration looks to be causing a side to side motion which is dynamic balance and potentially more dangerous.

The chap who makes and presents the videos on the 'bikotic' youtube channel had problems too. See here ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elfG3tx83iQ&t=32s

My other half was looking at Hunt wheels, after seeing the videos and hearing other stories, she bought Campag instead - and they are wonderful.

I'm looking at new wheels for my bike - Hunt were already not on my short list and less so now. I'll likely buy Campy, though I also like the look of Deda wheels. Bontrager are known for quality and the reputation for an outstanding warranty.

Good luck friend.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Just to try and balance the thread out, (see what I did there?) I also have a pair of Hunt Aero Wide Race wheels that I purchased last year. These have been 100% faultless and are a truly great set of wheels for the price. Hence why I went straight to Hunt for a pair of their higher spec'ed wheels.

The other problem is that good lightweight carbon rim braked wheels are getting more difficult to source, unless of course you are prepared to spend even more money. For example, Zipp 303 wheels are £1500 and are a lot heavier than the Hunt equivalent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I actually ordered some of the stick on golf weights with a view to trying to balance the rear wheel. In hindsight, I think I knew that it wasn't the right thing to do and I'm just glad now that I decided to return them for inspection.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It seems Hunt are now saying to you we will now build your wheels properly in terms of spoke tension,

Something which they should, of course, have done in the first place.

Speculating, I wonder if the majority of wheels arrive from the factory at Hunt in good order, which in turn means they get into the habit of skimping on or simply not doing any pre-delivery checks before sending them to the customer.

The owner of my local bike shop told me something similar happened with Bromptons.

Most bikes arrive pretty much ready to ride out of the box, in contrast to other new bikes which need a significant amount of building and adjustment.

Inevitably, in a busy shop staff get into the habit of skimping on checking them.

But occasionally a Brompton does need fettling which can then be missed.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
What doesn't help of course, because of the spokes used (carbon) if there is a problem with a spoke or wheel or rim they need the wheel back at Hunt to inspect/resolve because local shops won't have the necessary experience, knowledge and tools in order to work on them at the moment and Hunt want to make sure that they are perfect. But they are working on a document to help the dealers to be able to carry out some remedial work in the future, but in the meantime the wheels have to be returned back to them if there is a problem.

All their words, not mine I hasten to add.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I've now heard of a number of people having problems with Hunt wheels and returning them.

Valve weight can cause problems with static balance causing a motion that is up and down. Your vibration looks to be causing a side to side motion which is dynamic balance and potentially more dangerous.

The chap who makes and presents the videos on the 'bikotic' youtube channel had problems too. See here ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elfG3tx83iQ&t=32s

My other half was looking at Hunt wheels, after seeing the videos and hearing other stories, she bought Campag instead - and they are wonderful.

I'm looking at new wheels for my bike - Hunt were already not on my short list and less so now. I'll likely buy Campy, though I also like the look of Deda wheels. Bontrager are known for quality and the reputation for an outstanding warranty.

Good luck friend.

Conversely, the freehub bearing in my pair of Campagnolo Zonda's was completely knackered in less than a thousand dry miles. Whilst my Hunt's have needed nothing doing to them in 10 thousand abusive winter miles.

monkers

Veteran
Conversely, the freehub bearing in my pair of Campagnolo Zonda's was completely knackered in less than a thousand dry miles. Whilst my Hunt's have needed nothing doing to them in 10 thousand abusive winter miles.

Fair enough, my other half has done a couple of thousand on her Zondas and they remain perfect. I'd rather have to replace a freehub bearing than have a back wheel attempt to kill me though. :rolleyes:

Just to try and balance the thread out, (see what I did there?) I also have a pair of Hunt Aero Wide Race wheels that I purchased last year. These have been 100% faultless and are a truly great set of wheels for the price. Hence why I went straight to Hunt for a pair of their higher spec'ed wheels.
Similililarly, I've got some of their metal wheels, been no problem. They were helpful and friendly on the phone, talked me through the tyres that would be fitted (as I'd never had tubeless before). That probably wouldn't be the case if I brought direct from China.

I bent one quite early in their CX career, but was easy enough to re-true it using everyday tools in my garage!

(It's quite feasible that I shall go to my grave without owning carbon wheels ... )

Top Bottom