Out of balance Hunt carbon wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Veteran
You are of course 100% correct, I have nothing to lose. So with that in mind, I've since contacted Hunt this morning and requested a replacement set of wheels. Lets see how the replacement set fair?

I think you've made a good decision there. I'm still fascinated, so please do keep the thread updated.

Reactions: C R

Buck

Guru
You are of course 100% correct, I have nothing to lose. So with that in mind, I've since contacted Hunt this morning and requested a replacement set of wheels. Lets see how the replacement set fair?

I think that’s the right way forward. Keep us updated.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
My wheels were collected by DHL last week so should arrive back with Hunt this week some time. The replacement 36UD wheels are not due back into stock till the end of September, which to be honest doesn't really bother me as I have plenty of other wheels that I can call on.

That said, come the end of September the time spent using the summer bike/summer wheels will be limited. At best maybe a month before the weather turns proper shite.

So with that in mind, I've decided to upgrade to the ceramic bearing version of the 36 UD wheels, which are not due in stock stock till the end of March 2022. My only reservation is that the smoother running bearing could/will only make any out of balance situation even worse? But if that is the case then I'll simply return them and get a refund.

In the meantime, I've just ordered a pair of Hunt Four Season wheels (of course not forgetting to specify the low noise free hub) for the pending winter months. These wheels are due in stock before the end of this month. :okay:

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
So an expected turn to the great Hunt wheel saga.

The original plan as documented above was that I was upgrading to the ceramic bearing equipped 36 UD wheel set that were due March 2022. Which I didn't have any problem at all waiting for.

However, at the start of last week I had a mail from Hunt saying that the original delivery date of March had slipped and it was now going to be April 2022. Bearing in mind that they still have the money I paid for the original wheels, £1100. Needless to say that I wasn't happy with either the extended lead time or the fact that that would have my money for 8 months.

At this point I decide that enough is enough so I requested a full refund, this was put in writing and the reasons why I had decided to cancel.

The next day I get a phone call asking me what I would like to do with the wheels?

The day after that I then get a mail saying that my wheels had been repaired and were due to be shipped back to me????

Back on the again phone to Hunt, now told that the April date was an error and it is back to March again. But by now my mind is 100% made up, its a refund please. I would guesstimate that just last week I had circa 15 e-mails or Live Chat message plus 2 phone calls from so many different people at Hunt?

There internal communication is indeed truly shocking, and it turns out that for reasons best known to Hunt there are multiple warranty tickets open in my name for the exact same set of wheels for the exact same problem.

Then just when you think the nightmare is over, they are now saying that they cannot issue my refund in one amount, it has to be in two amounts, despite the money being paid in one amount to them? To be fair, its not an issue, its just another hiccup in the process.

Last edited:

monkers

Veteran
You are a very moderate and reasonable man Alan. @AlanW The treatment of this company towards you is very shabby indeed. I feel that insisting on your money back is the correct decision.

I don't know if you've seen ZED wheels? I like the look of these and am just making up my mind which I will order (if any) - not that I'm dissatisfied with the Campy wheels I bought recently, they've been excellent - just a case of the 'I wants' and a purchase that I know I can't truly justify.

https://zedbikewheels.com/

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
You are a very moderate and reasonable man Alan. @AlanW The treatment of this company towards you is very shabby indeed. I feel that insisting on your money back is the correct decision.

I don't know if you've seen ZED wheels? I like the look of these and am just making up my mind which I will order (if any) - not that I'm dissatisfied with the Campy wheels I bought recently, they've been excellent - just a case of the 'I wants' and a purchase that I know I can't truly justify.

https://zedbikewheels.com/

Ha ha....already been in contact with them!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have found my DT Swiss Arc 1400 wheels bulletproof and incredibly easy to service. They are a little spendy, but I think worth the money.

Buck

Guru
So am expected turn to the great Hunt wheel saga.

The original plan as documented above was that I was upgrading to the ceramic bearing equipped 36 UD wheel set that were due March 2022. Which I didn't have any problem at all waiting for.

However, at the start of last week I had a mail from Hunt saying that the original delivery date of March had slipped and it was now going to be April 2022. Bearing in mind that they still have the money I paid for the original wheels, £1100. Needless to say that I wasn't happy with either the extended lead time or the fact that that would have my money for 8 months.

At this point I decide that enough is enough so I requested a full refund, this was put in writing and the reasons why I had decided to cancel.

The next day I get a phone call asking me what I would like to do with the wheels?

The day after that I then get a mail saying that my wheels had been repaired and were due to be shipped back to me????

Back on the again phone to Hunt, now told that the April date was an error and it is back to March again. But by now my mind is 100% made up, its a refund please. I would guesstimate that just last week I had circa 15 e-mails or Live Chat message plus 2 phone calls from so many different people at Hunt?

There internal communication is indeed truly shocking, and it turns out that for reasons best known to Hunt there are multiple warranty tickets open in my name for the exact same set of wheels for the exact same problem.

Then just when you think the nightmare is over, they are now saying that they cannot issue my refund in one amount, it has to be in two amounts, despite the money being paid in one amount to them? To be fair, its not an issue, its just another hiccup in the process.

what a palaver! Let’s hope the refund comes through promptly.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Excellent. What will you buy instead?

That's a very good question to be honest?

The carbon wheels are for my mud guarded Ti bike, which I am being honest with myself is real over indulgence and unnecessary. The bike is currently fitted with Hunt Aero Wide Race wheels, which are more than good enough to be fair

That said they did make the bike superb for climbing and really worked well in terms of looks. I'm currently having discussions with Zed wheels at the moment to see what they can offer.

You will see in the For Sale section that I'm selling my beautiful summer bike, Trek SL8 Domaine Disc, its four years old but Ive never really gelled with it. This was endorsed last Friday when I went out on my old and trusty Scott CR1 Pro for a change, and its everything that the Trek isn't I'm afraid.

So the Trek is up for sale and I'm booked in for a bike fit in two weeks time with a view to getting a new summer bike. The Trek cost me £4.5K four years and despite my best efforts and many bar / stem combinations, I just cannot get it to work for me. Rest assured, I am not making the same mistake again, hence the bike fit!

It will probably be a Ridley frame that I go with, subject to the dimensions working for me and I would really like a Noah Fast. Which means that the money I was going to spend on the carbon wheels for the Ti bike will probably go in the pot towards the new Ridley bike now.

monkers

Veteran
That's a very good question to be honest?

The carbon wheels are for my mud guarded Ti bike, which I am being honest with myself is real over indulgence and unnecessary. The bike is currently fitted with Hunt Aero Wide Race wheels, which are more than good enough to be fair

That said they did make the bike superb for climbing and really worked well in terms of looks. I'm currently having discussions with Zed wheels at the moment to see what they can offer.

You will see in the For Sale section that I'm selling my beautiful summer bike, Trek SL8 Domaine Disc, its four years old but Ive never really gelled with it. This was endorsed last Friday when I went out on my old and trusty Scott CR1 Pro for a change, and its everything that the Trek isn't I'm afraid.

So the Trek is up for sale and I'm booked in for a bike fit in two weeks time with a view to getting a new summer bike. The Trek cost me £4.5K four years and despite my best efforts and many bar / stem combinations, I just cannot get it to work for me. Rest assured, I am not making the same mistake again, hence the bike fit!

It will probably be a Ridley frame that I go with, subject to the dimensions working for me and I would really like a Noah Fast. Which means that the money I was going to spend on the carbon wheels for the Ti bike will probably go in the pot towards the new Ridley bike now.

Thank you Alan for the comprehensive answer.

I lusted after bright red Trek Domane in my LBS window in May 2020. I'd just bought a new Cube Axial which I actually rather liked - it was basic, Claris and rim brake, but progress felt quite rapid. I part exchanged the Cube for the Domane - what a mistake to make! Where the Cube fizzed the Domane, despite the looks was a dullard, it felt numb and lifeless. I suspect it was due to the isospeed system.

The next day I went back and bought a NOS 2018 Emonda instead - what a difference despite both bikes being carbon, both being on the same wheels, and much the same finishing kit. My memory of the aluminium Cube though was that it still just had a little more fizz. The Emonda is probably the best compromise for me though, and I'm now at the stage where I'm upgrading the previous upgrades and it just keeps getting better. The Emonda is certainly a climber's bike and a competent descender. A change of wheels improved acceleration.

It's talents are much greater than my own to be honest. I don't race, but I do like to have a go at segment times on ridewithGPS and Strava. That's a little sad I know but I do manage to surprise myself with how I compare with others half my age or less - so I'm hooked.

I've buggered about with set ups too. I've changed bars, stem, settings etc. I watched a clip of Australian bike fitter, Neil Stansbury, recommending a particular saddle. So I bought one after having tried others. It's the SQLabs 612. It's a bit firmer than I was used to, but just as Neil had said, it makes me sit differently, and weirdly I'm suddenly finding more power.

I suspect you are a fast rider and that the Domane was just too tame for you. They are loved though by those who want a comfortable endurance bike.

I'm very interested in those ZED wheels. If you do buy a pair, will you please be kind enough to let me know what you think of them?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I suspect you are a fast rider and that the Domane was just too tame for you. They are loved though by those who want a comfortable endurance bike.

I'm very interested in those ZED wheels. If you do buy a pair, will you please be kind enough to let me know what you think of them?

To be fair, I wouldn't class myself as a particularly fast rider, but I can maintain a decent enough pace of over 100 miles.

The Trek was originally purchased as I thought that as I got older the more relaxed geometry etc would be better for me. But as you quite rightly say, that relaxed geometry/isospeed couplers all come at a cost and after doing a 80 mile ride on the Scott last Friday it really hit home the difference between the two bikes. Dam shame, because the Trek really is a stunning and beautiful bike, but its an expensive ornament in the garage right now.

In the meantime I shall still continue my discussions with ZED, particularly his thoughts to the "out of balance" issues that I experienced with the Hunt 36 UD wheels.

Top Bottom