Out of saddle hill climbing is.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coggy

....good for the but-tocks (as Forest Gump calls them)

Have just started adopting this method on some climbs and the buns feel like they have been torn off, chucked in a spin dryer and stitched back on.

Although it's a useful method to stretch alternative muscles, overall you end up wasting more energy by being out of the saddle. Unless you're racing someone and need a spurt of speed, I'd tend to stay in the saddle.

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

Although it's a useful method to stretch alternative muscles, overall you end up wasting more energy by being out of the saddle. Unless you're racing someone and need a spurt of speed, I'd tend to stay in the saddle.

I have only been using it when I have had to go from a standing start to a steep short climb to be honest. If I have momentum then I agree that sitting upright with hands on top of bars is a more efficient method.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sacro-iliac joint pain, common issue in cyclists and really quite painful - feels like being stabbed in the kidney!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Seated is best for anything sub 10% then it starts coming down to what you feel most comfortable with and the gearing on your bike. On a 25% plus hill you may find standing is the only way to keep moving if you don't have a mega low gear option.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I find standing only ever good for a bit of a position change and a leg stretch- other than that I know I'm wasting energy.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
If I find myself standing then I know I chose the wrong gear at the bottom, an issue at the moment since climbs I used to do on the middle ring I struggle with and have no desire to try to change front rings under load..

bash 73

Being new and unfit i used to stand quite a lot but on my last 2 outings didn't need to stand and one of the climbs is a killer (for me)
i suppose getting a bit fitter means sitting is best!

Top Bottom