Outdoor Winter Storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Hi,

I currently keep my bikes in the conservatory however looking to move them outdoors.

I have an old wooden shed that also has two older bikes in it and they tend to get mould over the seat etc during the winter months.

I'm looking at something like this: https://www.homebase.co.uk/keter-st...-storage-shed-beige-brown-2000l/12815621.html

Would something like this keep a bike dry & mould free over the winter months?

Anyone else keep their bikes outdoors over winter in anything other than a garage or mouldy old shed?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Will keep them dry but won't guard against damp unless you heat it.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Anyone else keep their bikes outdoors over winter in anything other than a garage or mouldy old shed?

In an Asgard steel bike store (mine holds four bikes)- have been using it for over 10 years. Works well for me (four is a squeeze though)

Shopping bike under a tarp. Gets a bit rusty here and there but I don't care.

Jameshow

Veteran
Hi,

I currently keep my bikes in the conservatory however looking to move them outdoors.

I have an old wooden shed that also has two older bikes in it and they tend to get mould over the seat etc during the winter months.

I'm looking at something like this: https://www.homebase.co.uk/keter-st...-storage-shed-beige-brown-2000l/12815621.html

Would something like this keep a bike dry & mould free over the winter months?

What about security? That would be my biggest worry?

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
In an Asgard steel bike store (mine holds four bikes)- have been using it for over 10 years. Works well for me (four is a squeeze though)

Great will have a look at one of those

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo

Old thread with an image (includes some bikes I no longer have- I still have that old Milnes 'cross bike- and my old cat)

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/garden-bicycle-storage.89521/#post-1605663

Old thread with an image (includes some bikes I no longer have- I still have that old Milnes 'cross bike- and my old cat)

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/garden-bicycle-storage.89521/#post-1605663

I have that exact shed, I'd say paying for the installation service is well worth it. I regret buying some of the hooks and the anchor point though - the hooks I could have made myself out of old coathangers. The anchor point, if fitted through the floor as it should be, actually invalidates the warranty/guarantee!

Tip - CyclingUK does a 10% member discount, memberships are £33/50 concessionary/normal and as the sheds can easily go over £1000 it's worth joining just for the discount.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I have that exact shed, I'd say paying for the installation service is well worth it. I regret buying some of the hooks and the anchor point though - the hooks I could have made myself out of old coathangers. The anchor point, if fitted through the floor as it should be, actually invalidates the warranty/guarantee!

I put the thing together alone (& partly in the dark). I'd guess the installation service may well be worth it.

Mine isn't anchored- it would be difficult to move it from its location. It would be easy enough to bolt it down though if I borrowed a big enough drill.

I put the thing together alone (& partly in the dark). I'd guess the installation service may well be worth it.

Mine isn't anchored- it would be difficult to move it from its location. It would be easy enough to bolt it down though if I borrowed a big enough drill.

The shed itself is anchored, it was the extra anchor point for bike locks which they said would need another hole drilling which would invalidate the warranty, I should have chased it at the time but I'd just moved in and had 101 things to do!

Its on an old greenhouse base which I cleaned up, treated and painted. I've since gone back and repainted extra layers as the initial 2 (as recomended on the tin) started to peel.

DiggyGun

Keter make very good sheds. Been using a larger apex style one for a number of years. Never let the water in, so very dry and no condensation.

However, do use a small background heater in the depths of winter as being e-bikes, batteries don’t like too cold a temperature.

DG…

Top Bottom