Outdoor Winter Storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Keter make very good sheds. Been using a larger apex style one for a number of years. Never let the water in, so very dry and no condensation.

However, do use a small background heater in the depths of winter as being e-bikes, batteries don’t like too cold a temperature.

DG…

Or too hot! My Asgard shed gets very hot in warm weather, but I remove the batteries when storing.

Hicky

Guru
I’ve used an Asgard for the past 4 years with minimal maintenance(wipe them down every now and again in the winter)the bikes are happy over the winter, they’re in a south facing garden which helps.

I'm going to add some balance here and say I have an Asgard shed in a property I rent out and while it does the job it is supposed to do, I don't think I would want one in my own house. They're alright for ticking a box for insurance purposes, but a good quality wooden shed looks nicer and with maintenance will both last longer and could be be just as secure - battery powered angle grinders could easily defeat any security you'll get in an outbuilding.

If you want to stop things from going mouldy you must (a) not put things that are wet in the shed and (b) make sure there is some ventilation. Insulation would help too - this could be as simple as a couple of layers of bubble wrap stapled up inside the frame.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Keter make very good sheds. Been using a larger apex style one for a number of years. Never let the water in, so very dry and no condensation.

However, do use a small background heater in the depths of winter as being e-bikes, batteries don’t like too cold a temperature.

DG…

i have thought about replacing my wooden shed with a keter shed but im concerned about security as i already have a small one and the latch strength is laughable and the panels are so thin i could kick it out so i dont keep anything in it i would particularly miss .

i have thought about replacing my wooden shed with a keter shed but im concerned about security as i already have a small one and the latch strength is laughable and the panels are so thin i could kick it out so i dont keep anything in it i would particularly miss .

It's really a question of having things out of sight. I honestly wonder if it's better to look like you don't have much worth stealing to begin with. Your bike being out of sight with a flimsy padlock is enough to deter 99.5% of all would-be thieves. Locks make good men honest.

If you had something like a shed shackle or ground anchor that meant a would-be thief needed an angle grinder to get your bike, they've already self-selected themselves as part of the 0.5% who would break into a padlocked shed.

A thief will get into any shed of any manner of construction. It may be marginally harder to break into a steel shed, but if you have the determination (and a battery powered angle grider) there is no way for me to stop you. I really do wish people wouldn't talk about Asgard sheds being some sort of magic bullet that will make it impossible to steal your bike. It isn't true.

Last edited:

ren531

Über Member
I have a shed that gets no direct sunlight on it from late November to late February so gets very damp then, if you can position the shed to get max sunlight it will help.

Dadam

My ebikes are in the garage chained to one of these https://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=TorcMaxiAnchor fixed by bolts bonded deep into good quality concrete. They'll need an angle grinder and some patience as it's a hardened 22mm D shackle that they'll need to cut twice. It's also going to be a pain for them to bring the grinder to bear on it due to being tucked away under the bikes. The noise will easily wake next door's dog and quite probably folks in the 2 houses each side. These anchors are sold secure diamond approved not just for bicycles but for motorcycles.

If you have a concrete base in your shed I'd recommend something similar. If not they also do anchors for wooden sheds but obviously will be easier to defeat.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's really a question of having things out of sight. I honestly wonder if it's better to look like you don't have much worth stealing to begin with. Your bike being out of sight with a flimsy padlock is enough to deter 99.5% of all would-be thieves. Locks make good men honest.

If you had something like a shed shackle or ground anchor that meant a would-be thief needed an angle grinder to get your bike, they've already self-selected themselves as part of the 0.5% who would break into a padlocked shed.

A thief will get into any shed of any manner of construction. It may be marginally harder to break into a steel shed, but if you have the determination (and a battery powered angle grider) there is no way for me to stop you. I really do wish people wouldn't talk about Asgard sheds being some sort of magic bullet that will make it impossible to steal your bike. It isn't true.

unfortunately my driveway although gated has direct access to the road as my house is a corner plot with no road access at the front .
Mrs ck is a devil for leaving the gates open when she goes out so anyone can walk into the back garden and calls me paranoid .

Top Bottom