Outer Hebrides tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In June 20o9, I rode from Barra through to Stornoway, I travelled up from London on the night sleeper to Glasgow, then took the train to Oban, in Oban I bought a Island Rover ferry Ticket to Barra which meant I did not have to buy any more ferry tickets further along on my route.
1st night i camped near to the Airport on on Barra, next day I took the ferry to Eriskay,
2nd Night I stayed at the youth Hostel at Berneray island.
3rd Day I took the ferry to Leverburgh, then rode up the East Coast of Harris Via Roghadil, Aird Mhighe, Geocrab and camped for the night at Ceann-na-Cleithe.
4th Day headed into Tarbert for breakfast and supplies then headed to Stornoway, via the A859, there a stiff hill just outside of Tarbert other than that it was a nice ride. camped at the Camp-site in Stornoway..
5th Day cycled out from Stornoway to the Butt of Lewis, took 2 hours to get there(wind assisted) and 5 hours to ride back due to riding into the high winds.,
6th day took 7.00am ferry to Ullapool, then rode the A835 to Contin and camped there for the night.
7th day Cycled to Inverness via A832 at Mor bridge took the A832 Muir of Ord stayed on the A832 for a couple of miles then took a minor road to Milton and followed the minor road alongside the Beauly Firth to North Kessock and then the cycle path into Inverness and the railway station for the night sleeper back to London.
Originally I had planned on cycling the reverse to that route, but I had been warned that it would be wiser to go north from Barra, as the winds would be in my favour. for the first two days that was so, I suffered high winds, heavy driving rain and sleet. The wind in places was blowing me along 15-20 MPH, scary. From Leverburgh the weather was OK. during the ride up to the Butt of Lewis the wind pushed me along, riding back was a nightmare, when I got back to Stornoway camp-site I was knackered.
The Ferry trip from Stornoway to Ullapool was very stormy, making some peeps ill.
Hope that helps.

This bus from Inverness to Durness goes via Ullapool and carries bikes, runs from May to end of September.
http://www.inverness-durness-highland-bike-bus.co.uk/
I used this bus in June 2011, different operator then, I was heading up to Durness to start my Durness-Dover ride, the bus journey takes a while but its first rest stop is Ullapool where it waited for half hour, I think it is times to meet up with the Ferry arriving from Stornoway.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I used this bus in June 2011, different operator then, I was heading up to Durness to start my Durness-Dover ride, the bus journey takes a while but its first rest stop is Ullapool where it waited for half hour, I think it is times to meet up with the Ferry arriving from Stornoway.
All useful stuff thanks. I'll certainly consider south to north; you're not the first to recommend that.
Cheers
Geoff

cnb

Veteran
I have this penciled in for May(hoping to avoid the dreaded midge)..Nothing planned yet but i'm aiming to ride south to north..

cnb

Veteran
Thanks for posting that about Hebrides..There's a couple of interesting links with nice photies..Rekindles my interest.. I did the Le-jog a few years ago and really enjoyed it..Hope that it goes well for you...

Yeah, that's partly my rational for September. Doin' LEJOG in May for t'same reason ^_^
We attempted JoGLE in September 2013, the midge were bad...

IMG_6192_1024.jpg

They were so bad that full waterproofs were needed despite it being glorious sunshine (we had 3 days so hot we could not carry enough water and despite the factor 50 we still got burnt) along with full length riding gloves and for the first time ever I resorted to a mossie net over my cycle helmet just to put up the tent!

Leaving one place, the climb was horrendous out of the area and I could not out cycle the clegs because the gradient was so step... It was a real incentive not to stop and to put more effort in!

Within a week we had snow on the tops in Glencoe!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
The time I cycled there in May 2007, I took the train to Glasgow and rode to Inveraray, stayed one night, then to Oban for the midday ferry, overnight on Barra. Long day then to North Uist, staying at Berneray. Then to Rhenegidale and a night at the black house village on the north of Lewis. Ferry to Ullapool, one night there, then cycled to Inverness and stayed a night before catching the train back.
As you may tell I used the Gatliff Trust hostels and the others were B and Bs.
Great trip, which I'd love to repeat. No midges in May either and I was blessed with super weather.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'd agree that if you're going to do the circuit involving Oban, why not start there? You can get a train there easily from Glasgow, or if you prefer to drive, there's a free long-term car park.

Mrs Uncle Phil and I have done a couple of variations of route which you can read about here and here (this second link is our route including Stornoway and Ullapool).

It's a worthwhile ride. Go in May to avoid the worst of the midges and get the best probability of fine weather.

robing

Über Member
I'd agree that if you're going to do the circuit involving Oban, why not start there? You can get a train there easily from Glasgow, or if you prefer to drive, there's a free long-term car park.

Where's the free long term car park in Oban?

Bodhbh

Guru

It's also a 40 mile or so ride from the Bridge of Orchy, so if it suits the OP any better. you can take the sleeper train up there and cycle the rest in time for the afternoon ferry.

Just to agree with the posts about wind and midges - the south westerly was something else the whole time we were there. So a) we didn't see a midge, and b) we were glad we did it south to north - it was blowing enough to go 15mph on the flat without peddling. Of course, you can choose to do it that way and the wind decides something else.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Where's the free long term car park in Oban?

It's here. (You'll need to zoom out a bit... haven't entirely got the hang of sharing google maps).

When we went to use it, it was full, and there were a couple of other drivers cruising around hoping someone would leave and make a space. In the end we just parked in the suburbs nearby. It seemed safe enough and all was well on our return.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I rode on Lewis Harris and Skye on my way home from LonJOG in July 2012. It was pretty much unplanned as I'd intended to follow the mainland coast, but didn't have the time. I caught the Bike bus to Ullapool and then the ferry the day after over to Stornaway. Then just rode down theA829 from Stornaway to Tarbert in the rain (still some great scenery). Wild Camped a mile or two out of Tarbert overnight on the hillside and then caught the ferry in the morning to Uig, before riding down the A87 and off to Armadale to meet the train home in Mallaig.

I had no problem with midges other than a couple of short stops on Skye as there was quite a breeze, rain on Lewis/Harris and at one point a thunder storm over the Cullins. Even though they are trunk roads neither the A87 or A829 seemed particularly busy roads, and both still had good views. I'll be back in that area in late September/early October and hope to take in far more than I had chance to in 2012, and to have better weather. :smile:

Top Bottom