Outer Hebrides tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robing

Über Member
Thanks for that. Is it reasonably safe to leave the car there for 2-3 weeks? It's not new or a particularly desirable car.

cnb

Veteran
Thanks for the heads up on the car park..That's an option i'll have a stew on..Only downside to it is that i'll have to get back to Oban. Hmn pondering heads going on...

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
As usuall, i look forward to your right up and pics Geoff. Cant the Mrs drop you off in the Camper ang go of touring and walking .
Yeah, well spotted Galaxy; you're obviously a regular reader. Chrissie dropping me off in the camper and touring/walking herself before rejoining me was my default option, and she'd be quite happy doing that. Difference is, I've had a friend ask to join me and, if you've been paying REALLY close attention :smile: our camper's only two berth with only two seats (including driver). Hence my questions. :thumbsup:
Could be, in the end, that might be what I'll do anyway, leaving my pal to make his own transport arrangements. In which case, all this information will still be extremely valuable.

And, once again, many thanks for all the really interesting info.

tomshooter

Ooh the midge...a friend and I did a west coast tour a few years ago, wild camping all the way. It's a real shame that our lasting memories of the camping aspect are evading the midges! Midge soup throughout, at one point we spent an hour in a rural tourist office just to get a break from them!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thanks for that. Is it reasonably safe to leave the car there for 2-3 weeks? It's not new or a particularly desirable car.
When we went we paid to park the car - not all that much. Can't remember where it was - on the outskirts somewhere - but the chap would have taken us from there to the ferry (we declined, as it was downhill all the way) and he collected us from the ferry when we returned (we accepted - it was uphill all the way...)

Had a quick google - the only similar one I could see ('park and cruise') was by Tesco, so that wasn't the one.

robing

Über Member
Ooh the midge...a friend and I did a west coast tour a few years ago, wild camping all the way. It's a real shame that our lasting memories of the camping aspect are evading the midges! Midge soup throughout, at one point we spent an hour in a rural tourist office just to get a break from them!

Did the entire west coast of Scotland in July 2013 as part of Dover to Cape Wrath. It was during the heatwave and there were no midges. The horseflies or clegs as they're known there were out in abundance. And the buggers can catch you up when you go up the hills!

And the buggers can catch you up when you go up the hills!
Sure, but they are a really good incentive not to stop and really find fitness levels you never knew you had!

Luckily we were able to rest at the tops of the climbs in the breeze without them, but it did mean the entire climb with no rest no matter how steep the climb and how much you were hurting!

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Done lots of walking/cycling/canoeing/wild camping trips in that part of the world. Found the best way to deal with midges and clegs is to take someone with you who tastes better than you.

robing

Über Member
Done lots of walking/cycling/canoeing/wild camping trips in that part of the world. Found the best way to deal with midges and clegs is to take someone with you who tastes better than you.

Unfortunately that person is me! And they can quite happily bite you through lycra. Clegs that is.

Amanda P

Legendary Member

All I can really say is that we left out camper on the street near the car park for two weeks and it was fine when we got back. Oban doesn't seem like a hotbed of car thievery.

(Sorry for the slow reply; had my eye on other things).

Top Bottom