over-compensating pedestrians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
Arch said:
Reins. More small children should be on reins. Proper harness ones, preferably with a cutsey 1950's squirrel painting on the chestpiece....:evil:

They should then be harnessed to small buggies, to convey their corpulent parents around the town, pony-and-trap style. An instant cure for hyperactivity!

Arch said:
Actually what's more annoying is oncoming other cyclists who don't understand about keeping left...

I second that!

Maz

Guru
If you're on a shared ped/cycle lane and there's another cyclist approaching from the opposite direction, do you bear left as though it's a road? I've seen the left-right-shuffle thing with bikes, as no doubt many of you will have, too.

edit...just seen Arch's post above.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
They should then be harnessed to small buggies, to convey their corpulent parents around the town, pony-and-trap style. An instant cure for hyperactivity!

:evil::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'd like to see that!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
As most nights these days, the pedestrians and dog-walkers were fine, it was the two neds who came screaming at me, throttles open, on motorbikes that were the problem. Possibly doing 40 or 50, they missed me by inches as I swerved off onto the grass at the side of the shared path.

All I could think of were the mothers with buggies, old women with dogs and kids walking just around the (blind) corner behind me.

This was just yards from the spot where another ned removed himself from the gene-pool over a year ago (mentioned him before - he was an angel, according to his mother and there's a bloody shrine to him around the lamppost he hit) doing the same thing on a (stolen) motorbike. I suppose he had the decency to do it at 3am, whereas these scum were doing it just after 4.30pm when there were lots of people on the path.

I hope they managed to avoid hitting any innocent pedestrians (and that they might have done us all a favour and wrapped themselves round a lamppost before they DO eventually kill some poor soul out for a walk). :evil:

domtyler

Über Member
My wife was getting out of the car yesterday when some pillock came blasting past at twenty miles an hour on the pavement and made her drop the sat nav. Fortunately she had yet to get the baby out of the back of the car.:evil::blush:!:biggrin:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
goo_mason said:
This was just yards from the spot where another ned removed himself from the gene-pool over a year ago (mentioned him before - he was an angel, according to his mother and there's a bloody shrine to him around the lamppost he hit) doing the same thing on a (stolen) motorbike. I suppose he had the decency to do it at 3am, whereas these scum were doing it just after 4.30pm when there were lots of people on the path.

We had one last year in the local country park. Decided to scream round at night on a scrambler.
Only thing is theres a cable waterski there. The support pylons have steel cables to anchor them........

'nuff said?

Tynan

Veteran
what would the Highway Code and Cyclecraft have to say about riding on surfaces shared with pedestrians?

bikes are scary to pedestrians

Years ago, rode at some speed into one of them there London squares to encounter two Danish crossing the road but looking the wrong way for traffic. I made the mistake of uttering an expletive whereupon they jumped back into my proposed route taking me down. All was fine with me and the bike but before I could get out of the road my mate Andy and his boyfriend came barreling around the corner on his Hobbs of Barbican Blue Riband tandem trike, proper hanging off the inside trying to catch me up. Unable to change his trajectory he ran right over the rear triangle of my 1937 Curly Hetchins fixer breaking the drop out and tacoing the wheel. The two gorgeous blond teenaged Danish started to cry and Andys boyfriend started to cry in sympathy.

col

Legendary Member
Its funny how thieving scumbags are little angels,when they kill themselve,or are caught by the police,isnt it?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Arch said:
Reins. More small children should be on reins. xx(
No reins are a nightmare... been there, done that... and just imagine the hazard they become to other people who don't always see the reins which are now a trip/strangulation wire, or the kid runs circles around the lamp-post etc:biggrin:.

I often change gear when I'm coming up behind pedestrians, or slow cyclists, - the cyclist knows what that sound is, and the pedestrian looks around to see what it is. Obviously it doesn't work if they have things in their ears or lots of noise around.

bonj2

gambatte said:
We had one last year in the local country park. Decided to scream round at night on a scrambler.
Only thing is theres a cable waterski there. The support pylons have steel cables to anchor them........

'nuff said?

xx(
isn't that going to be a danger for cyclists even in the day?
Or is that in an area where only waterski people are allowed.

A few years ago some youg chap in a stolen car thought it would be a good idea to 'ram-Raid' a high class clothes shop in Leicester. The main doors looked like painted timber. They are infact steel gerders (?) made to look like timbers. Need less to say them girders didn't give an inch as he drove into them at speed...

Top Bottom