Over distance - over time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I could probably find the answer to this with a bit of a search, but I'm lazy.

I'm looking at this, which is 426km. If I were to enter this I'd be dicing with the time limit.

The stated minimum speed is 15km/h. That would require 26:40 for 400k. But the time limit stated is 27:00 that's a minimum speed of 14.8 km/h.

So where did the extra 20 mins come from? I'm assuming that it's not because the event is 26km over-distance. If they'd taken that into account the cut off would be 426/15 = 28:24 . Is that due to some BR vs BRM shenanigans?

I'm coming to the conclusion that this is beyond me. 426 in 27 hours is a real world limit of 15.7 km/h and it's pretty hilly in places. But I'm a bit confused as to how they came to the 27hr limit.

And the last 20km contains the dreaded Birling Hill.:thumbsdown:

Shame, because logistically it would be very convenient.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Rounding, people prefer to see 15 than 14.8 it makes more sense

Ajax Bay

Guru
It's (registered as) a 400 BRM so the required completion time is defined (by ACP) as 27 hours. It doesn't matter how much 'over distance' it is (though you're correct to note that 5% is the stated 'limit'). But remember that the distance which needs to be less than 105% is the shortest practicable distance which will not be the same as the recommended route distance.
http://www.aukweb.net/_resources/files/official/AUK_Regulations_050418.pdf
"Brevet de Randonneur Mondiaux (BRM) a calendar event conforming to regulation 9 with modifications under regulation 10"
and Reg 10 reads (in part):
"10 Modifications of organisation and conduct applicable to Brevets de Randonneurs Mondiaux
10.1 BRM event distances and maximum time limits for their completion are as set down by ACP.
10.1.1 Only the standard distances may be organised.
10.1.2 Distances must not be more than 5% over the standard distances.
10.1.3 The maximum time limits for BRM events are:
- 200km within 13h30;
- 300km within 20h00;
- 400km within 27h00;
- 600km within 40h00;
and - 1000km within 75h00."
I'm looking at this, which is 426km.
the time limit stated is 27:00 that's a minimum speed of 14.8 km/h.
So where did the extra 20 mins come from? I'm assuming that it's not because the event is 26km over-distance. If they'd taken that into account the cut off would be 426/15 = 28:24 . Is that due to some BR vs BRM shenanigans?
Edit: I have looked at the route and the controls and the shortest walking route is 402km:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28980940?beta=false (so my third sentence above is relevant).

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The 30k/hr limit is pretty much the metric equivalent of evens, or a fast club-run pace. That's not going to be easy to maintain over 400km, even on flat roads, given that you're not allowed support between controls, and there's no time-out for your stops.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wasn't the point for the ride to be audacious?
Apparently. Audaciously long, but not audaciously fast.

I used to be able to do very hilly 200s at 20 kph but I think I wouldn't even make the 15 kph cut-off now. I'd like to get back up to about that speed. I'll have to try a bit harder next year and see what I can do.

(It isn't just that I would enjoy riding faster - I'd also like to get round some long routes in daylight at times of year other than mid-summer.)

Ajax Bay

Guru
It’s not fast.
Wasn't the point for the ride to be audacious?
Anyone (include contributors to this thread) who completes a 400k ride in less than 27 hours (including stops) has had to ride at a decent lick (when moving) and keep going through the night. I think that the rider who takes more than a day - the so called 'full value' rider - actually has a harder ride than a faster/less stopping one. Attempting a ride of that length (they normally start at 6am), expecting to ride for 15 hours and then another 10 beyond sunrise the next day, in weather and scenery, is audacious, whatever overall speed the randonneur actually achieves.
Jamie's 'Avalon Sunrise 400' takes a different choice of start time: 22:30 (the end of twilight, close to mid-summer) and gets the night cycling done first with the prospect of riding east across the Somerset Levels as the sun rises behind Glastonbury Tor.
http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/audax-events/63-avalon-sunrise

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Dogtrousers you can do it.
My longest ride of 350k was done in 27 hrs, however.... the first part was FNRttC to Bognor with the usual stopping and faffing. A leisurely breakfast and then solo’d the coast-road all the way back to Deal. That includes Birling gap, the monster hill at Hastings, Folkestone and Dover hills and some lesser lumps to boot.
Up until then my longest ever ride was 220k a fair while ago.
So I reckon with your experience and more regular distance riding it should be pretty doable for you!

burntoutbanger

Veteran
A couple of winters ago I did a dusk till dawn ride of my own making, I finished on 295km (considerably my longest ride to date). It wasn't my legs that hurt by the end but my bum and shoulders/neck. Comfort is key IMO.

Ivo

Quite a lot of continental organisers do unofficially add some time for overdistance. During this years 400 in my area I manned a 'secret' control at 401km. When I reported to the organiser who was through within 27 hours and that would be used a the cut-off.

Top Bottom