Over tightened Cassette Lockring...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Liamsles

Hello there,

I was swapping my Ultegra 6800 cassette over to a new set of wheels and I over-tightened the lockring causing it to shed it's thread.

I got the remnants of it out of the freehub.

The question is...

Can I just purchase a new lockring? Or have I done serious damage to the wheel?

I'm pretty annoyed with myself as I've never overtightened it before. The wheels are brand new Ksyrium Elites...never been used so hoping it's not damaged.

Any help or past experience would be appreciated.

Kind regards.

Liamlses

compo

Veteran
surely the lock ring screws into the freehub, not the wheel hub. If you have the remnents out and the thread looks OK in the freehub you may have got away with it. If not then you may need a new freehub rather than a wheel. Others will disagree but a torque wrench helps avoid such problems.

sgl5gjr

without looking...... sounds like you may just need a freehub as has been said....... now on install...the lock ring should make some nasty sounding "clicking" noises.... that is normal BUT on the drive side don't over tighten as it will tighten in use,also Use a Torque Wrench... to 40 Nm

MikeW-71

Veteran
Eeeek!

I am hopeful that the lockring is made of softer metal than the hub. If so, the ring would strip first and save the hub. I have heard that Shimano compatible hubs are made of steel and not aluminium. Lockrings are (I think) made of aluminium. Fingers crossed!

RebornBumbler

It should be apparent if the threads are stripped on the lock ring that you removed - if so you'll just need a new one (hopefully that's the case).

The lock ring won't tighten with use - that only occurs on a threaded freewheel.

gbb

Legendary Member
Assuming you do get a new lockring Liamsles, make sure you get every shred of the old lockring out of the threads. If you don't and screw in the new one, it almost certainly will shred the threads on the new ring

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I would try a new lock ring, having cleaned the threads and given them a bit of grease. I think you will pretty quickly find out if the female thread is knackered.

Top Bottom