Overhauling a Campag 10sp lever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

The bike's developed a stiff/difficult lever and it's making gear changes (chainrings) a right pain sometimes, so I need to take it apart and have a look. Consulting my Zinn, he rates as a worthwhile but tricky procedure.

Anyone any experience of just how tricky?

I usually do my own (basic) mechanicing but I'm still on the learning curve and do recognise my limitations! I have been known to bugger stuff up! Looking at the exploded diagram, there are lots of little bits to loose or fit the wrong way. Is it really techy stuff or can a newbie give it a go?

OP
OP
Y

yello

Just been watching a video on how to do it on YouTube ...it does look fiddly. I reckon it pays to know what you're doing/what to expect.

Will1985

Über Member
It isn't too bad. You might as well buy the g-spring and ratchet, but otherwise it is straightforward as long as you keep the bits in order (on a bic inside or paintbrush).
Lots of grease when you've cleaned it.
The one thing I could have done with was proper allen keys - I just about managed it with a multitool! Hardest part is removing the pivot bits - requires a bit of force. I didn't need to take off the brake lever blade.

Mayniac

(Partial hijack, but I was about to post on the same subject-honest!)

I've been suffering with erratic shifting from the rear mech for a few weeks, despite several attempts at resetting the indexing. The lever has lost it's 'feel' and I suspect that is where the problem lies. They are Centaur 10 sp levers, about 7 years old and have never been touched.

I'm probably at the same stage of my apprenticeship as Yello, and a full strip down does look a challenge, especially as I don't know what I'm looking for. Is there any routine maintenance I'm missing out on? Should I try some lube, or is that the kiss of death? Any advice would be appreciated.

Top Bottom