Overshoe for trainers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
Any recommendations? Must be waterproof, and thermal and of course fit over a normal trainer. Many thanks I've been struggling to find something suitable

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I got a pair of these recently for wet days. They are a more generous fit than my warmer, thicker BBB ones which will be used in proper winter weather.. I got size large as my Shimano shoes are size 44. They would fit over size 9 trainers fine. I wore them on a wet ride to work and back and they worked as well as overshoes can in keeping shoes clean, dry & warm.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/286462/products/altura-night-vision-city-overshoes-black.aspx

Which is useless if the objective is dry shoes.
If you want dry shoes, you can get waterproof ones from hiking shops. This year there are several lightweight activity boots with waterproof fabric and little padding, ideal for cycling in the rain on platform pedals and toeclips.

Bodhbh

Guru
I use sealkinz inside trainers.

I've done that - and probably will again as I've got a pair - but 3-4 days of sucessive rain and you have a seriously stinky pair of trainers. Put em in a corner, and stink out a whole room stinky.

Worth checking on eBay for army surplus sealskinz if anyones after cheap pairs.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So having never tried overshoes with trainers - how do they stay on and how do they not wear out on the pedals? My overshoes are kept in place by surrouding my cleat and they don't wear out on the pedal as they barely touch it.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I have waterproof shoes however in this mornings deluge all the water ran off my trousers into them and collected there! They then held onto the water all day and are still disgusting now, they also stink. Thanks for all the links will check them out asap

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have waterproof shoes however in this mornings deluge all the water ran off my trousers into them and collected there! They then held onto the water all day and are still disgusting now, they also stink. Thanks for all the links will check them out asap
Get shoes that extend up into trousers a bit.

Alternatively, to dry shoes out a bit quicker, shove balled-up newspaper into them and change it when soaked. Free newspapers at stations have their uses :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well, if you going to spend £30 on overshoes that will shred in a month if you wear them as planned with trainers (it's a fact, I've tried several :laugh:) you may as well spend a bit more for decent waterproof over trousers: get them the right length, to meet your waterproof shoes so that the water slides on the shoes, not into them.
You need a suitable bottom width that doesn't get caught in the chain rings.

Top Bottom