Overshoes - can they be used with normal shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

summerdays said:
How much bigger was the overshoe than your actual shoe size?

Not that much bigger. the trainers are white - the overhshoes black and so some of the white can sometimes be seen near the sole. Nothing worth worrying about.

As i haven't gone clipless yet i still have normal pedals and i have found that the grip on the pedals does damaged the underside of the overshoes over time. My last pair lasted me just over a year (they were £10 from decathlon)

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well I nipped into a Bike shop with the intention of just looking and ended up parting with more money than I was intending (I was just so fed up of wet feet:sad:). I am now the owner of some Gore ones (£40) - not neoprene. Although twice the price I was expecting to pay, I decided they were alot easier to get on, they go over my big shoes too. I worked out I would happily pay £2 per day to keep dry feet - and this term that would mean I would of been close to paying for them already:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.

I did wear them yesterday but it wasn't raining that hard. And now I have bought them its going to be dry today (well during the day anyway). I did wonder how to test them to see if they are working so if you see someone wearing only one overshoe then its me seeing how wet my foot would get if I didn't have it on - note I will only be carrying out this experiment on the way home:smile:.

Thanks for all the advice - its been appreciated.

02GF74

Über Member
you can buy overshoes for cycling shoes. in the past I did use poly bags :smile:

since I commute on mountain bike I have 2 pairs of shimano boots, one of them is t he exapnsive funky plastic coated waterporrf boot - forget the model but it keeps the water out - beihg totally waterproof, it doesn't let sweat out so my socks still end up damp - you cannae win. :angry:

frog

I am now the owner of some Gore ones (£40)

And you won't regret buying them. Got mine a few months ago and not so much as a drop of water has got into the shoes since.

You need to wear the trousers over the top of them so the water runs down. I've been through puddles which almost came up to the bottom bracket in the recent rains and they're still bone dry.

On the down side you really shouldn't walk far in them. The cloth underside, though highly reinforced, will soon scuff and tear and then you're buggered.

If you're feeling a bit rich then go for the Gore Alp X jacket as well. Totally waterproof and you don't sweat to death inside either.

Top Bottom