overshoes for winter riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Welcome to the forum. Endura (3mm neoprene) overboots (2012) for me with MoreMile Colorado (high(ish) wool content) socks. The overboot fit is correct: the Large fits my 44 boots and shoes. Zips and a rubber velcro strap across the cuff.

Suggest you review this recent 'keeping feet warm' thread:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/keeping-feet-warm.194952/

Last edited:

Hyslop

Veteran
I use a pair of Pearl WXB.One advantage I find is the fact that they use Velcro at the heel,rather than a zip.They may be a little fiddly until you become used to them,and you do have to make sure that they are fully secured,but then,thats ever the case.Mine are over 2 years old,the closure is still secure,and they show few signs of wear,in particular the sole.Warm and pretty good in all but very heavy rain,I will certainly replace them like for like if theyre still available whenthe time comes.For cold dry days,I use a pair of Lusso neoprene overshoes(not sure if these are still available)and they are superb,keeping my feet really warm.

Cheap ones from Decathlon, 1mm thickness, cost about a tenner, have seen me through 2 winters. Now looking somewhat secondhand, will buy a new pair for the summer rain.
Also have a heavy duty pair from Endura but I only use them when it's really bad so they're still going strong after 3 winters.

sackville d

Veteran
Endura neoprene from Ribble at about £20 a pair. Bargain! Thick neoprene so probably quite winter specific.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...es-endura-neoprene-road-overshoes/enduzosh200

The Endura ones are quite thick and warm, and they're also pretty rugged. I have a pair which have lasted well and show no signs of wear after about 40-50 uses. Zips are strong and the kevlar soles don't get damaged when walking in them for short distances. Definitely a bargain.

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

Thanks for all the replies and help. I have had a pair of the Endura one's and while they were pretty good, the issue I have is with the zip breaking unabaling me to do them up at the back. Are there any different boots on the market?

Thanks once again.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What are the best winter overshoes?

the issue I have is with the zip breaking unabaling me to do them up at the back. Are there any different boots on the market?
Winter overshoes need to have a decent element of insulation. This means that though they will stretch, the extent that they can is limited. They also need to be reasonably tight otherwise they may let water in and there's a risk of rub on the cranks. So a design which relies on getting them over shoes/boots just by stretching will have had to make compromises, probably to their primary functions (winter = warm and waterproof). Not surprisingly the widely adopted design solution is a zip. Overshoes are in the cycling 'firing line' and thus have a hard life. Wear and tear means that they're not going to go on for ever. Either the upper will hole or have a split, or the sole will deteriorate, often round the cleat hole, or they will fail at a seam (between sole material and upper material), or the zip/velcro will go, either failing before it should or after it's given sterling service. @Hyslop says ^^^ that his ones are good and they have velcro. Not cheap.

Otherwise, perhaps you can recognise these factors and rather than looking for non-zip ones, instead look for overshoes which have a robust zip and a secure locking mechanism for it when fully closed (eg a covering strap with velcro). Perhaps the Sealskinz ones with a zip on the side may meet your zip failure phobia. And get ones which you don't have to struggle too much to get on (as that will stress a zip). So maybe other contributors can suggest which overshoes have the strongest zip. [Will be difficult: what is the metric for zip strength?]

Katherine

Guru
If you don't want a zip, get the planet x overshoes which have a very strong large velcro fastening. Mine are on their second winter but I'll need to replace them for next year as the seems underneath are wearing.

Svendo

Guru
I seem to punish my overshoes, usually need puncture repair patches where my ankle rubs the crank quite quickly, which is a good use for the bigger patches that'll never get used on my road tyres. They then need running repairs with neoprene glue or rubber shoe glue on the front ankle seam where they bend and stretch and then crack as I pedal. I also seem to 'catch' them occasionally making a rip in the neoprene regularly, again repaired with glue. And hen the soles need sewing occasionally where the left wears where I put my foot down.
I also found the non-slip mechanism on the zip had seized since last winter, so had to use penetrating oil, then a bit of force to remove (i.e. break!) it, then the tab broke, which I replaced with a paper clip wrapped in gaffer tape.
I do get cold feet, and commute exclusively by bike so they get a lot of use and on-off 'cycles', and I'm happy to get a season and a half from a £20 pair of Enduras.

Top Bottom