Overshoes. Tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

My feet have been freezing this week and I'm considering overshoes. I have read mixed reviews in the past and wondered what folk here thought and used?

I've got size 10 feet and wear spd shoes.

Thanks all

Jez

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Some are better at dealing with the cold than others, I was pleasantly surprised when I tried a pair of BBB heavy duty overshoes this week, I didn't feel the cold, in fact, my feet were warm.

mchunt

I bought some Altura Night Vision overshoes just for keeping the rain off which they work well for but during the last week I have put them on in the morning and they sure have helped. Thursday night feet really hurt with the cold so put them on Friday night as well as morning and feet weren't cold. The ones I have aren't really designed for cold weather but they do make a difference.

Camrider

My only cycling shoes are summer ones, but I find a pair of overshoes keeps the cold air out and my feet nicely protected from the chill provided I am also wearing a decent pair of socks

david1701

Some are better at dealing with the cold than others, I was pleasantly surprised when I tried a pair of BBB heavy duty overshoes this week, I didn't feel the cold, in fact, my feet were warm.

I think its a very personal thing I run BBBs as well and get cold feet on longer rides (I wear hiking socks in this weather). I have matching gloves too and they've not been quite enough these past few days

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've not used any other overshoes apart from the BBB heavy duty ones I've got now, and they certainly help. There's no way, though, that I could say they keep my toes warm after being out for over an hour. Strangely, my clippy-outy left foot is the one that suffers the most. I would have thought that the other foot would get colder, being more connected to metal for much longer periods of time. It may just be a circulation problem that I have, but I've been known to simply get off and walk for a while to give the blood a chance to pay my toes a fleeting visit.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
3 pairs thin socks and tarmac pro neoprenes for me...warm enough.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Cheap planet-x neoprene ones for me. With summer vented shoes I can ride in a anything with no problems (down to -5 yesterday) Can be a bit sweaty tho, but I'd rather that than frostbite!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
My experience of overshoes is that they don't generally last longer than a year. Unless you do some heavy duty repairs but it only extends the life of them a little bit.

It's worth while weighing up the repeated cost of overshoes to the more expensive initial cost of winter boots.
My Sidi winter boots are certainly great at keeping my feet dry and warm, although at -3 you do start to feel it a bit.

bobones

Veteran
Gore Wear Race Power Thermo are easily the best I've tried. Expensive though. Not sure if they're suitable for MB shoes.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've now got 4 pairs for this winter:

Aldi cheap ones have now just about fallen apart after 1000+ miles. Cost: £9
Gore neon are good but a bit on the bright size. Cost £30
Replacement neoprene from eBay (all pretty much the same) seem OK. Cost £12
Lightweight eBay Galibier ones in lycra only suitable when it warms up. Cost: £10

Of those, the neoprene ones from eBay/Aldi are OK and the Gore are great.

If you're just doing a few miles then Aldi's are fine.

Top Bottom