Overshoes - Worst bit of cycling kit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyre forest blues

Über Member
I have read a number of threads about overshoes and there is one general theme. They are not made to last. I use spd cleats which sit more or less inside the sole of the shoes as opposed to the 'road' SL cleats which sit more or less proud of the sole, so walking before, during (cafe stops) and after quickly damages the material on the sole of the overshoe. I have tried a number of types and all tend to only last 1 winter season. I don't want to pay a fortune, but if a manufacturer would come up with an overshoe with a very hard wearing base it would be best seller.

screenman

Legendary Member
Make a product that lasts forever, I can see a business problem there in the cycle industry.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've never had any luck with them. They seem to fall apart after less than a dozen rides and they also leak. I don't bother with them anymore.

screenman

Legendary Member
I will be using them on every ride for the next 6 months or so, no problems and I get a few years out of a pair.

vickster

Legendary Member
I like Mavic toe covers on SPD shoes. Keep the cold off and worst of wet out
They get a bit worn but really only the trim around the hole
Maybe try winter boots instead?

davidphilips

Veteran
Dont know of any great over shoes but know when its really cold they are a must for cycling, have tried water proof socks along with 2 pairs wool socks when wearing slightly big cycling shoes but still never found any thing i would recommend. Just hope some one will let us know of some thing that not only keeps our feet warm but dry?

screenman

Legendary Member
Dont know of any great over shoes but know when its really cold they are a must for cycling, have tried water proof socks along with 2 pairs wool socks when wearing slightly big cycling shoes but still never found any thing i would recommend. Just hope some one will let us know of some thing that not only keeps our feet warm but dry?

A turbo in front of a fire, indoors of course.

Slick

Guru
I use endura pro Slick ones which are perfect for me as any previous pair seemed to disintegrate in the salt but this one has lasted 2 years now and is only now showing signs of wear.

Milzy

Guru
I know a fool who says his are rubbing on the cranks so is going to put washers on to bring the pedals out. lol

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have used all sorts of overshoes for years. I bought a pair of winter boots a month ago and they are a game changer. I will not be going back to over shoes.

Venod

Eh up
I don't do enough winter riding nowadays, but cycling boots seem the way to go for anybody doing serious milage in the cold, my current favourite overshoes are Planet X neoprene ones and they are only a tenner, I use them with spd's.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Since I found black witch neoprene glue I have been able to make my overshoes last 3 seasons. I don't use them on my commute though as it is not long enough to get really cold.

Top Bottom