Overshoes....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
:eek: That's like autumn here. You'll be telling me there's snow next ... oh, actually there was very recently, wasn't there?
I commuted to work wednesday morning and it was circa 5℃, i had 3 tops, winter bibs, skullcap and full finger gloves........my commute starts with a 350ft climb from 1200 to 1550ft......then plummets downwards to 600ft in the remaining 11miles, needs to keep warm

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It isn't summer yet, and half the time the UK summer isn't like summer anyway!

It was 8 degrees C here the other evening and a chilly wind was blowing at 25 kph with gusts to over 40 kph. I climb up to over 400 metres on many of my rides and the windchill on rides like that is not nice to hands and feet.

Age is probably a factor too. I don't remember suffering from cold extremities when I was a young man but I certainly do now, especially since losing a lot of weight. (I lose body heat a lot quicker without 5 stone of blubber to keep me warm.)

So, where did I put those overshoes ...! :whistle:
Indeed , my morning commutes have been around 5-6 degrees at times and with the cold wind coming home at 5.30 pm or so i had white cold hands even through thin full finger gloves .
Friday was the 1st commute this year without a gilet and i still had a base layer , arm warmers and leggings on , its 6 am mind .

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Really in need of waterproof overshoes for a sportive next weekend where rain is expected all day. Have Shimano ones just now , but they are more splash than waterproof

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Indeed , my morning commutes have been around 5-6 degrees at times and with the cold wind coming home at 5.30 pm or so i had white cold hands even through thin full finger gloves .
Friday was the 1st commute this year without a gilet and i still had a base layer , arm warmers and leggings on , its 6 am mind .
Yes, I had heard of that 6 am thing. I thought it was just a myth but then I discovered it for myself when getting ready to head off to Leeds for the recent Tour de Yorkshire sportive!

Really in need of waterproof overshoes for a sportive next weekend where rain is expected all day. Have Shimano ones just now , but they are more splash than waterproof
The TdY sportive started off in horribly wet conditions but my neoprene overshoes kept my feet cosy. They only remained dry for about an hour, but after that the overshoes acted like wetsuits for my feet and kept them warm.

I think water gets down the inside from the top rather than through the overshoes. Gaffa tape round the top would probably fix that but could be sticky and I can't be bothered to try it.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Shimano Tarmac NPU+ are bang on for Winter for a degree or 2 or below 0.
Castelli Toe Thingys in Spring/Autumn or when it's about 5 deg C or to keep warm feet in a shower or light rain.
Other than that nothing, in a heavy Summer shower just squidgy shoes ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Some of the best overshoes I've owned are a cheapish pair of Planet X jobs.

Mummy3monkeys

It isn't summer yet, and half the time the UK summer isn't like summer anyway!

It was 8 degrees C here the other evening and a chilly wind was blowing at 25 kph with gusts to over 40 kph. I climb up to over 400 metres on many of my rides and the windchill on rides like that is not nice to hands and feet.

Age is probably a factor too. I don't remember suffering from cold extremities when I was a young man but I certainly do now, especially since losing a lot of weight. (I lose body heat a lot quicker without 5 stone of blubber to keep me warm.)

So, where did I put those overshoes ...! :whistle:

After spending half term in the Yorkshire Dales, I can appreciate your comments more. I wore three longsleeves and was just warm enough. Sunshine was nice, but wind was very nippy, especially when rain was added to the mix.

Top Bottom