Overtightening bolts on rear wheel - issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
So the bit of it that touches the frame stayed still, but the top bit turned?
Sounds just like a normal one to me, done so the spinny washer bit can grip the drop out better, and it wont scratch the drop out.
On mine, i have cheap nuts on it, that dont have the spinny bit.
You can tell if yours has got this by taking it off, and the end should spin.

Sorry if this isnt what you ment and you already knew this:blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Track nuts usually have the spinny bit - to check, take it off...

You are more likely to strip the thread on the axel or, if lucky, just the nut.....

skwerl

i wouldn't use pliers either. get an adjustable spanner, or even better a ring spanner or socket. what are Langster hub nuts - 15mm?

peanut

User1314 said:
It really IS time I booked that cycle mechanics course.

its about time you bought yourself a really nice tool kit :welcome: you know you deserve it. Aldi do a good set cheaply and I think Argos and Asda maybe

Bigtwin

No. No no no no no to all.

No you can't damage the frame - as long as you have the nut with the "turney thing" against the drop outs, unless the nut is stong enough for you to squash raw metal.

No to adjustable spanners (I won't even mention the "p" word), You'll bugger up the nuts every time and you can buy a proper spanner for about a quid that'll do you fine. And you can grip like a bastard with those "P things" and you will get 5% spanner force. And you'll slip and leave your knuckle flesh on the frame while you swear like a marine with VD. And you will shag the paint right up when you slip.

Just skip a pint once this week, go to a hardware store and buy a spanner - open one end, ring the other. Then get another one the same, as you need two, balanced against each other, to do a proper job. They will last you years of glorious trouble-free wrenching.

skwerl

Bigtwin said:
No. No no no no no to all.

No you can't damage the frame - as long as you have the nut with the "turney thing" against the drop outs, unless the nut is stong enough for you to squash raw metal.

No to adjustable spanners (I won't even mention the "p" word), You'll bugger up the nuts every time and you can buy a proper spanner for about a quid that'll do you fine. And you can grip like a bastard with those "P things" and you will get 5% spanner force. And you'll slip and leave your knuckle flesh on the frame while you swear like a marine with VD. And you will shag the paint right up when you slip.

Just skip a pint once this week, go to a hardware store and buy a spanner - open one end, ring the other. Then get another one the same, as you need two, balanced against each other, to do a proper job. They will last you years of glorious trouble-free wrenching.

nothing wrong with an adjustable. you need a decent one such as a bahco but they're no worse than an open spanner. not as good as a ring spanner but more versatile

Top Bottom